Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 179: A trip around Margaret River

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 2 May 2008 | Views [600]

A kitesurfer on a beach in the Margaret River

A kitesurfer on a beach in the Margaret River

Friday 2nd May

Mum & Dad had planned on doing a tour of some of the wineries in Margaret River the following day as there was a local wine festival taking place and it seemed like the best option for them, instead of driving around a lot of different sites. We decided to take a drive around the local area and take in some of the sights so we headed out late in the morning.

There's quite a lot of stuff to see and do in the immediate vicinity of Dunsborough but we decided to keep this for another day and so headed further afield. We stopped at a local beach (Smith's Beach???), a popular surfing site and enjoyed the view of the sweeping sands and waves that crashed against the shore. After picking up a sandwich in the town of Margaret River, we moved on to Hamelin Bay, ate our food and watched a kitesurfer brave the cold waters of the Indian Ocean. It was very windy, but also very beautiful, and the white sand and turquoise waters of the sea really caught the eye.

We drove on down the coast towards Augusta, a small town with a lighthouse and a famous water wheel that has become salt-encrusted over the years and is now like one of the rocks that are piled up around it. It had turned into a beautiful evening and we headed back towards Dunsborough, spotting our first group of kangaroos in a field at the side of the road. It was an everyday appearance for Aussies, but to us it was a real novelty.

We arrived back in Dunsborough after dark and went for dinner at the 'En Joia' restaurant and the food was once again very good, and the waitresses were down to earth and funny (there are no airs and graces in Australia, but usually very good service). It had been another good day, so we relaxed back at the villa for the rest of the evening, as there was little else to do in town after dark.

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.