Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 178: Perth to the Margaret River

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 May 2008 | Views [990]

Rock n' Roller: Bon Scott RIP

Rock n' Roller: Bon Scott RIP

Thursday 1st May

We were out of the apartment by 10.00 and on the road south towards the Margaret River region, famous for its wineries, beaches and scenic drives. We passed through Freemantle on the way, and, as time was on our side and we were close by, we stopped off at the cemetary so that I could take another look for the elusive Bon Scott. Once there, it was fairly easy to find him, with an arched doorway with his name emblazoned on it (and with lightening bolts welded on for extra effect!). This marked the spot where his ashes are interned. It's all fairly non-descript (none of the amateur poetry written on cigarettes or security guards that are provided to Jim Morrison in Pere LaChaise Cemetary in Paris). I thought it was funny that his plaque sits beside that of a Mary Betty Savage, a 79-year old mother of three. It was fitting that he was buried by a women with a wild sounding name, but maybe not of that particular age!

We made our way down the 'Tourist Route', passing through the towns of Bunbury and Bussleton on our way to the coastal town of Dunsborough where we had planned to stop for a few days. The trip wasn't the most scenic, but the roads are good and quite clear of traffic. We got to the visitors centre in Dunsborough in the early evening, booked a really nice villa for a few days and relaxed for a while. The beach was just down the road from the house and there are a lot of things to do and see in this area.

Later in the evening, we went out for dinner at 'Adrian's Seafood Bar' and had a really nice meal. It was great to be treated to a higher standard of food than I had been used to on my trip. It was clear that the Aussies really took pride in offering very good quality food (although you still had to pay a bit for it).

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.