Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

Dali whine and dine

CHINA | Saturday, 4 August 2012 | Views [775]

All is changed. The hostel didn’t have my booking so I had to wait over 6 hours for my bed. Not happy. Memories of Jo and Brian’s success here began floating away like it was all a dream. The management barely speaks English. All the guests are incredibly rude and unfriendly Chinese people. The menu of great food is gone. No more Wednesday or Saturday BBQs, or casual days sitting around talking to travelers. Instead I find it very simple to sit down and write my assignment. Bonus you might say, if the Internet connection would work.

Constantly a battle with something, paying extra for a nice room full of rude people with skill saws going outside the window nonstop. Every evening terrible music played, by the unfriendly Chinese groups of young adults that hang around, and blasts through the walls and makes my head split. I look forward to leaving on Sunday, and erasing my memory of this stay. Although the Bad Monkey is still here and full of dreadlocked wanderers, and the markets and trinket filled shops are still jam packed full of very cool wares from ancient artifacts to embroidery and jewelery, colourful ethnic clothes and hand-worked leather, horn and bone thingees.

I am happy the weather has held out, and I’m happy one of my assignments is behind me. There is light shining from the cracks in the clouds, the sounds of birds and insects are hiding under the droning construction work. I will pass through again for the fire festival next weekend. I will always find perspective in life: the downs augmented by the ups, generally good food and some company changes everything, and not too long now I will be wondering what's next in my path?

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.