Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

PERUGIAAAAAA

ITALY | Sunday, 10 July 2011 | Views [290]

Perugia. I have ended up in a house that is uniquely the warmest welcome and comfort, full of extremely friendly people! There is a jazz festival on here for the next ten days.  Through couchsurfing I met Vincenzo, who has opened his place to surfers and friends to celebrate with him his graduation, and the jazz festival holiday. On my first night here,  when we had all finished an amazingly massive meal of pasta and barbequed meat skewers and chops, all the wine nearly gone (which is a huge feat if you saw how much there was), we headed around the corner and up the road to find the main stages closed and finished for the night.

 

This didn’t matter too much as the squares were packed full of people, drinking on the street, dancing to drummers and horns jamming to the side, general mayhem and festivity overflowing in the streets. Perugia is my new favourite spot in Italy, incredibly relaxed and fun, students creating the atmosphere buzzing around the town.

 

 

So a few days on and I love this place. It is a small old town; yesterday I walked around with Dave from Milan, the super hot temperature making this an exhausting feat. I didn’t even take my camera, thinking we would be gone for a short time. Ended up meeting friends and eating conoli, a very typical Sicilian desert made with ricotta, so SO good, as it was made by Gabriels mother in Sicily.

 

Also the night before I had some Tiramisu made by Vincenzo’s mother, easily the best I have ever had. This is why I feel so lucky and happy about this experience, I am welcomed with open arms by everyone to this place. The town is so packed full of people, and yet I walk around and have friends in all places. The best kebabs in Italy, the cheapest beer from here and the best focaccia over there.

 

I was insistent on dancing at the concert in the square last night, and of course there was a friend, Andrea, who came with me into the midst of the crowd, it was a blast, and after going wandering with Julia for another cocktail, half and hour later the crew is still in the same place more or less, still having fun, drunken and happy with the rest of the population of Perugia. The last few nights have involved wandering through the town every few meters stopping to talk and continuously drink, those where all of a sudden the sun is up and we are sitting around playing guitars and laughing and before too long the heat sends us to bed.

 

Tonight I am assured will be the same, although I quite secretly want to sneak off to bed early, whether my new friends let me or not is totally out of my control.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.