Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

So whats it like being back at uni?

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 4 May 2011 | Views [1253]

I have been working on these blasted journal entries, so NOT a journal, but here goes, as it takes up time and ends up being quite interesting for me, I thought at least I should post them up :)

Foreign language learning I have encountered as a language teacher in China is often a combination of Skinnerian, Ausubelian and Rogersian concepts; some aspects of these theories are existent as general educational practice, and others facilitated and progressively practiced in my classrooms. In this instance, my perspective comes from teaching multiple ages, in classes of all sizes and variations, every student learning compulsory English in China. I have found a regimented rote learning style of education in Chinese public and private schools, where retention is gained through memorization, and mental storage of information is considered success. Classical conditioning is common in language classrooms, and stereotypical cultural features of learners behavior eventuates in attitudes, affecting the development of a target language (Brown, 2007).

 

Skinners use of reinforcers (Brown, 2007, p. 89) as response to behavior in the language classroom equate in learners strengthened confidence, and certainty in their behavior. Commonly I have found learners often develop blind responses to stimuli; in all situations, the answer to ‘how are you?’ is ‘I am fine’. Due to an implicit control on human behavior customary in some countries, emitted reactions and responses are frequently silence, students hoping as a consequence to be ignored, rather than admitting confusion. I encourage learners to ask questions, and with subtle support, student’s behavior develops to be open and inquisitive in nature.

 

Ausubel’s subsumption theory is more frequently acknowledged as an important factor in learning functional properties of the target language, especially in non-immersion classrooms. Relating material from the ‘real world’ so students can retain meaningful language knowledge is similar to a natural acquisition process. Creating a meaningful learning (Brown, 2007, p. 91) environment in a language classroom is a challenge I consider imperative for learners development, authentic tasks and materials can be utilized to gain more extensive and genuine knowledge of the target language, culture and its functional properties. In most schools where curriculum is relaxed with foreign teachers, I implement task based activities and games, where learners focus on imitating real life situations and implicitly practice functional uses of the language forms they already know, but never have had to use.

 

Rogers concept of humanistic psychology outlined in Brown describes the importance of teachers as facilitators, and ‘the establishment of interpersonal relationships with learners,’ (see Brown, 2007, p. 97).  In my experience, building a classroom community (Senior, 2002) is key to trust and progress between learners and their teacher. I encourage opinionated expression and self-concept development of my students, where in reality, the background of learners is of a traditionally conditioned culture, where individual expression is discouraged.

 

Within boundaries of culturally appropriate and general awareness in teaching methods, I strive to facilitate a genuine context for learners to communicate, and interact, in meaning focused situations. As Chamot describes, the good language learner uses memorization techniques, asks questions, practices communication and is an active learner (2001, p. 29). I generally find a combination of relevant concepts in play in the language classrooms I encounter.

 

References

Brown, D. H. (2007). Principles of Language Learning and Teaching (5th ed.). White Plains, NY: Longman.

Chamot, A. (2001). The role of learning strategies in second language acquisition. In M. Breen (Ed.), Learner contributions to language learning: New directions in research (pp.25-43), Harlow: Longman.

Senior, R. (2002). A class centered approach. ELT Journal, 56(4), 397-403.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.