Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

On my way south

CHINA | Tuesday, 24 August 2010 | Views [457]

After teaching in Zhengzhou, Henan, China for one year, multiple jobs private and university based, summer school and one off promotions, I was much in need of a holiday.

I was itching to get on the move by the final week of school, and had bought my ticket to Kunming by train, so all that was left was to organize my belongings and see friends for the last time. I tried to arrange dinner with people but soon realized how stressed I usually get with things like this, so instead just let it happen. Went out for hot Pot with Colin, Pablo, Julia, Pete, Alex and Dave. Then out drinking at Target, caught up with Yoko and Paul, many others came including people from Aihua, and it was good to see LoaWang too. I hopped back and forth to Reds bar to see Teresa and Red, but it was difficult and I was tired and not very enthusiastic about drinking.

Sunday afternoon I went over to brains place to do some baking, other Brian and Ricky and Dirk were the awesome guys I had fun with that day, we played a popular American game Risk, which was a lot to take in, but generally sat around laughing most of the day and night.

Monday I packed fully, and arranged Indian for dinner with the boys and Tanner. I went out with Julia to get a backpack as cheap as possible to use as a day pack. Hard to find one without glitter or plastic on it. We hung out for the afternoon and then Tanner helped to take a big box of things to Pete and Heidis place to store until next year. Indian was filling as always, and it was good to see the guys one last time.

Tuesday came and I was in a mess, as I couldn’t find my train ticket. I was on the phone with Teresa trying to buy a new one, but there was no seats or beds for another week. I tried texting Heidi to see if they were available in case I had packed it into the box. Then I spent time looking at flights instead but they were very expensive. Luckily Pete went home for lunch so I sped over here and emptied the box, it wasn’t where I thought maybe it was but in the end found it in with a million scrapbooky tickets and flyers I find hard to throw away. I could finally breathe and relax.

To the train station through the rain (the last week had been humid and heavy rains in Zhengzhou) to get onto a train around 9pm. It was overnight and I expected to sleep and get up and off in Kunming at around 7.45am.

The morning came and I was excited and ready to move. The train didn’t stop.

Instead of a 12 hour train ride I was stuck on the top bed (hard sleeper) for 35 hours. No one spoke to me the whole time, I read my book and dozed and tossed and turned for a long long time. If I could have mentally prepared for this, it might not have been so bad, but I was annoyed that I had been so wrong.

 

On arrival in Kunming, I felt very sick. Probably from getting stuck in torrential downpour and into cold air-conditioned taxi for an hour last week.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.