Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

It's not aboot policy, it's aboot respect.

CANADA | Wednesday, 15 March 2006 | Views [2342] | Comments [10]

Howdy All!

I hadn’t checked my email for 4 days while I was away and there were only 5 comments. I was a bit sad until I checked my email and found a message from mum saying that people were having trouble with putting comments up, so that is ok.

I went to Ottawa this weekend. It was AWESOME! Ottawa is where the government is and is the Canadian equivalent of Canberra. I was a little concerned that it would match the boringness of Canberra but it was a really cool city. We drove up on Friday and spent the night at Jane Anns sisters house. They live on a Cattle farm and Jane Anns nieces showed me round and introduced me to all of the cows, cats and bunnies. The house they live in is 180 years old and the town has a population of 1000 people. It was pretty awesome.

On Saturday morning we drove up to Ottawa which is only an hour away from Athens. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. It was the nicest day since I have arrived in Canada. It was sunny and I spent the whole of the day outside without a jacket. The drive up was really nice. We went through some nice country. When we got to Ottawa we found the hostel. We stayed in the same prison hostel that Kylie did. The prison hostel was it the Wacky Travel book that Tim, Simon and Mel got for me. It was really empty so me and Jane Ann got the cell to ourselves.

On Saturday we spent most of the day walking around the city. We went to the Byward market which is an outdoor market that sells lots of fruit, vegetables, jewelry and all of the other stuff that would be expected at a market. Because it was such a nice day all of the streets were packed with people. We walked around the city and saw very many funky shops and nice old buildings.

On Sunday we WALKED across the border into Quebec and went to the Museum of Civilisation. That was really good. The museum went through the history of settlement in Canada and had really awesome displays. In some parts they made the ceiling look like the sky and had shops and other stuff from whatever time period you could go in to look at. You could tell you were in Quebec and not Ontario because there was beer for sale in the food court with all of the other drinks.

Then we went to the National Art Gallery. This was really interesting. There were a lot of famous painters paintings in there. I saw Reubens, Rembrant, Matisse, Van Gogh, Monet, Gauguin, Klimpt, Warhol, Chagall, Dali, Klee and Pollock. There were probably many other artists that were quite well known but I didn’t know who they were. There were some famous Canadian paintings that Jane Ann knew but I did not.

There was also a garden in the middle that you could sit in that was art for all senses. It had music and plants and stuff you could play with to change the shapes.

On Monday we had a tour of the Parliament building. It was very pretty. The walls were made of limestone that had millions of fossils in them. That was cool. We went to the peace tower at the top to look out over Ottawa. That was pretty cool but it was foggy so you couldn’t see a whole heap. After this we did some shopping and then went home. The trip back took us through a place called Perth. That was funny. Perth here is VERY old.

I also got a new job. Just doing some tutoring. I think I start tomorrow. I am just trying to get curriculum information from here. I think it’ll be good. It is much better pay and is very flexible. I’ll put some pictures up of Ottawa so be sure to check them out. Crazy to hear about Bert Newton and Larry Emdur. Good news about Halloween. Hope everyone is well.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi there. Im pleased that you enjoyed Ottawa. and YAY for the job!!! good one. I don't have much to write but I'll try to prattle on for a bit. The Commonwealth Games are just about to start. The opening ceremony is tonight (Wednesday) and there is heaps of talk in the meda about the predicted Oz medal haul, then people are questioning the worth of the Comm Games, then there's the occasional spat between athletes (Jana Pittman and Tamsyn Lewis - Lewis posed in a bikini on the cover of some magazine), with other athletes (Jana Pittman) threatening to leave the country cos no one likes them, the swimming girls intimidating the other country's swimming girls, or other athletes pulling out due to 'illness' (Thorpey), and bans on the media to stop them reporting on what's going to happen in the opening ceremony (apparently big colourful fish will be swimming up the yarra). half the country probly doesn't care..... but I care!!! cos it's gonna be on the telly for the next week or so and that means that all my favourite tv shows are postponed until after the games. The week is just not the same when you can't watch your shows :( SO my favourite comm games events to watch - the marathon, the triathlon, ....... I would say the horses - but there's no horses in the comm games. All I can add further is GO JANA!!!! u go girl and leave that bikini Lewis person in your dust. Last night on Foreign Correspondent the main story was about BC Bud and how much Uncle Sam doesn't like BC Bud. So if you ever get to Vancouver watch out for BC bud. apparently it's everywhere.

  kips Mar 15, 2006 12:19 PM

2

Our lives here pale into insignificance compared with yours. Lets see, mum sent you the journal of their holiday to busselton - riveting read I hear - and she is knitting a bolero ( a cardigan thingy)serverely hindered by Floyd as he goes even crazier than usual when he sees the wool. Dad has dermatitis on his hands and he shoves them in your face at every opportunity, preferably when you are eating. He was complaining that he still has to do the dishes, and he might have to have his hands cut off, but then he would probably still have to do the dishes with his stumps. Ebony is working and saving, she is a grown-up now. Daniel is very very annoying and is getting tall. The Hansens are same as ever, Jo has a new boyfriend who bravely endures the family get togethers. It is nearly Nadine's birthday. Kristy Nelson was going to move to Albany but she isn't anymore. She is going to have the fish tank (which I spend all last Sunday afternoon cleaning) to make a Nemo tank, she is breeding fish. Candy came to Perth for a holiday from Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. Kelly Nelson is pregnant again. Movie tickets are cheap at Hoyts at the moment. Some government people wanted to make the speed limit 30km and hour in residential zones, which is obviously ridiculous, those people have been silenced and it is not likely to happen. There are heaps of road works everywhere. I have to go to Narrogin and Bunbury for work. I like the OC now, I have been watching it and it is ok. Nip/Tuck is still not on and I am not happy, I might write a letter (email). My pilot light went out this morning so I has an ice cold shower. I got new tyres on my car, I liked my old ones better. Kristy Richardson gave me a bouquet of flower lollipops for my very belated birthday. Some guy has a CD out of covers of Pink Floyd, Van Haylen etc songs and sings them in a jazzy lounge style, It is called the Sunny Side of the Moon, I might get it. Kristy R. has heaps of CDs about 200, I am borrowing them in installments to put on my ipod. I haven't been food shopping for a long time, it is too hard to take bags up to the flat. That is all the very interesting stuff I need to tell you :)

  Helen Mar 15, 2006 12:19 PM

3

Oh and the people who built the villiage for the common wealth games didn't put airconditioning in the village because it apparently wasn't in their contract, people weren't happy, not sure what came of it as I don't really care so i haven't followed it up.

  Helen Mar 15, 2006 12:23 PM

4

Hey Sue, congrats on the job! Haven't really got much to say, but I did say that I would write so here goes. I am busy working out my holiday - only 3.5 months to go (not that I am counting) and I will be in your end of the world. I will even by visiting Canada for about a week(Quebec City, Montreal & Torronto). Planning this is taking up quite a bit of time and I am madly trying to save so I can have one major shopping spree once I get there.

I saw your video with the cough medicine - what are you going to do with $500 worth of the stuff if you win??

Simon has been filling me in with what is happening on your journal because I don't get a lot of time to read it myself. I am really enjoying it - even if it is by proxy.

All the best with the play. I have to run - my work is piling up & I only have a half hour for lunch. I look forward to the next installment.

  Belinda Mar 15, 2006 4:18 PM

5

hello suzie q, sorry i haven't posted a comment for a while (i don't having an exciting jet setting lifestyle to write about). i got my hair cut today, & coloured (for the 1st time in my life at the hair dresses). it's ok, not quite what i wanted, but not having had a colour done before, i wasn't sure how it would turn out & the hair dresser girl was no help! saw the movie kinky boots with my sis yesterday, it is a sweet movie. glad your out of gaol now sue & yay for your new job!

  Meli Mar 15, 2006 6:12 PM

6

Glad the 'Wacky Travel' book is coming in handy for all your accomdation needs. I don't know any famous Canadian artworks or artists. Ask Jane-Ann to tell you who THE most treasured Canadian artist is- I'm intrigued. Sometimes in WA it feels, like in Canada, that you might miss Perth if you don't turn left at the 1st or 2nd traffic lights. Glad you got a job- let me know if the Canadian curriculum is as crazy as ours.

Today at school, I ordered Stop Motion Pro, a program for making stop motion animations. I am going to try and teach it in Digital Media. Even if the students don't like it, I am going to have awesome fun. Remember those French green and blue blobs randomly on television? Yeah.



WHAT'S HAPPENING: Today on the radio, they were talking about Simone Warne, who might be getting back with Shane Warne, and has become quite a celebrity since going on 'Dancing with the Stars'.

  Simon James Mar 15, 2006 10:38 PM

7

Hi, Susan. Great news about your tutoring job. I hope it goes well. Ottawa sounds nice. You look happy. Some news about Ebony apart from that she is working and saving: She is stealing my clothes and sewing sequins on them. In the past few weeks at work we have been getting twice to three times the usual number of referrals, and the same is happening in the adult service. I made a mistake on one row of my bolero and had to unpick 5 rows. This wasn't Floyd's fault. No more interesting news I'm afraid. I hope to talk to you soon on the phone. Love. Mum.

  Mum Mar 16, 2006 7:43 PM

8

Hey Sue, Can you email me your full address? I want to buy some stuff from America but they only ship to Canada and nowhere else, but you are in canada so you can send it on to me (i will pay for postage...airmail...) - Oh there is a world of possibility. Ta

  Helen Mar 17, 2006 4:25 PM

9

I'll have you know mum, I wasn't sewing sequins to your clothes, I was glueing them. Getting pretty desperate for your package. I only have about three t-shirts left. Me and Helen went to see Capote. It was very very upsetting at the end. Capote's voice is funny. Dad has started painting everything again. He painted the bathroom then all of the doors. He used the slowest drying paint in the world. He told us to watch out for the doors but I knocked into one and now theres an orange stripe on my blue work shirt. Pretty soon both Daniel and Dad had matching stripes. Rove is stupid and wants people to paint their house orange. I want to go to Rove's house and paint it orange. There is a new SingStar coming out. Its called SingStar Rock. Thats about it.

  Ebony Mar 19, 2006 3:01 AM

10

Hey! Did you hear the latest new? They've just named a cyclone after my cat! PS. Have you received the diary I sent you yet, Susan? Dan has now managed to make a hard copy of the photo of the car burning, so I will send you a copy soon and you can replace my drawing with it. Love, Mum.

  Mum Mar 21, 2006 12:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.