Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

Ma'am would you like a free stress test today?

USA | Sunday, 27 November 2005 | Views [633] | Comments [3]

Hi!

It is day two in LA. So far it has been a bit crazy. There are people who stand in the streets dressed up as people from movies. So far I have seen spiderman, jack sparrow, shrek, the grinch and many others, They stand around all day and get their pictures taken with tourists who then pay them money! They seem to make a fair bit. There are also people who stand in the street with cd plyers and try to make you listen to their new cd they have made. Then they make you buy it for$5-$10. They are really pushy. I told one guy I didn't have a cd player and he just asked me to give him a $5 donation to support his art. There are quite a few street performers here but they REALLY pester you for money. I think they do it to compete with the other things around the place that take your money.

Scientology is BIG here. They stand on the street asking if you'd like a free stress test and there is a reading room on hollywood blvd. I've even seen A bus advertising Scienctology.

Speaking of buses they are CRAP. Instead of there being lots of routes that go for a long way and stick to a timetable, they have buses that go up and down each street. So, when you want to turn a corner to get to where you want to go to, you have to get off and catch another bus. I took a bus to the Beverly Centre which is just a shopping centre that has some relatively expensive shops in it. I went to Macy's and Bloomingdales which are pretty much Myer and David Jones respectively. I haven't bought anything yet except sunscreen and a lock for my locker, but it is quite fun looking around. If you don't consider the exchange rate things are quite a bit cheaper here. Food costs about the same but you get more of it.

I am thinking that tomorrow I would like to go somewhere that is a bit further out from the city. I haven't yet decided. Anyway take it easy and have a fun week!

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

G'day Suzie, How ya going? (Is that aussie enough, i thought you might miss the aussie accent)! You haven't been missing much here, about the most exciting thing happening at the moment, is the gymnastics on telly. The men's Australian champion on the high bar broke his wrist in training, by spinning around & twisting his wrist, but unforturnately he didn't let go & he twisted it untill it broke (ow! I hope that wasn't too gruesome). Just wanted to say that I'm glad your going ok & i miss ya, Meli P.S. LA must be bad, if Perth's your only highlight?

  Melissa Nov 28, 2005 1:31 AM

2

Hello there! great to hear that you survived the plane trip and all that! AND I'm so pleased that you are finding your way around LA. the thought of LA just plain scares me, I don't think I ever want to be left to my own devices there! So given this - IM IMPRESSED with your efforts!!! You'll have no troubles in Toronto after conquering LA! keep having fun and seeing stuff, and I love looking up your journal to see what you've been up to. take care xx

  kips Nov 28, 2005 2:23 PM

3

Hi Suse. Hang in there! So this is the best country in the world? Sounds a bit like a third-world country to me. I will email you if I can't do it thru the machine. Everyone is well. Ebony liked 'Goblet of Fire'. Keep safe. Love. Mum XXXX

  Mum Nov 28, 2005 3:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.