Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Meet you in restaurant in pink cat?????...........

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 21 July 2010 | Views [486] | Comments [2]

 

Finally after many cases of telephone and text message tag with the FOPS’s, (including the wonderful message above…….  meet you in restaurant in pink cat”  .  By way of explaination, Telstra provides this as a free service  - and sends any voice mail left for you on your mobile off to ???somewhere overseas, where someone dutifully tries to interpret the message left on your phone, converts it to a text message and sends it back to you….  I believe what Fran actually said was “ we’ll meet you in Katherine on the 10th”!!!!

 

Anyway, despite this,  the 10th arrived and we were up at ‘sparrows fart’ in order to make the 3 hour drive to Katherine and be there as early as possible to spend time with our lovely friends.

 

We were all so excited at the prospect of catching up with Paul, Fran, Oliver, and Sienna, that after set up, Ethan sat at the edge of the road to be sure to be in place for the first possible glance of their arrival.

 

I can’t tell you how wonderful it was to see them all with much squeals of joy and hugging to be done.  And even though they had endured more than their fair share of misadventures prior to their arrival they were all glowing after their Kimberley adventures.

 

We spent a fantastic 2 days with our wonderful friends, slipping straight into the easy comfortable companionship and laughter that you have with folk you know well and love.  Strangly there were times that it all seemed so “normal” that I had to remind myself that we were all actually in the Northern Territory, and not in Shorncliffe sitting on our back deck.

 

Our time together culminated in a splendid cruise down Katherine Gorge in Nitmiluk National Park which included a sumptuous feast, and where we were able to watch the changing colours of the gorge during sunset, whilst sipping champaign and nibbling on canape’s.  Then all too sadly it was time to wave off our dear friends and pack up ready to head into Kakadu.

 

 

Comments

1

Love the photos of you all with barely anything on while we are freezing in this cold, cold winter. At least the Brisbane wattles are just starting to flower which means it is almost over! (Says she optimistically). Particulary suffering after a month in Italy. I just love the European summer...Oh for a house in Brisbane and a house on Lake Como and six months in each. Dream on..

Can't remember if I mentioned it before you left, but the photos reminded me of a wonderful 3 day walk from Katherine George to Edith Falls that I did many, many years ago. While some of the walking is a bit of a slog through fairly ordinary scrub, the rewards were the absolutely stunning gorges and waterfalls that are only accessible by foot. The joy of that climate is that you don't need to carry a tent. Sure you get a bit of dew overnight but that dries out quickly. Hope you get a chance to do it while you are there.

Nikki and I are doing a walk in Lamington NP tomorrow. Don doesn't walk that far and Colin is in London, so just us. Looking forward to being out in the great outdoors after looking at all your wonderful photos!!

Keep up the news and the photos
Love
Doris

  Doris Schwarz Jul 24, 2010 9:02 PM

2

Dear Doris,
IF you could just arrange the purchase of the said house on Lake Como, I would find it in my heart to help you and Don to while away 6 months of the year there!!

We have seen both ends of the walk from Edith Falls to Katherine Gorge - although only walked as far as sweetwater pools. Unfortunately, Steve had to be back to work at Tindal the next day. But have really enjoyed it here.

Have a wonderful time walking in Lamington NP - you must almost know it back to front by now. Is Don going to meet you girls at the end with long cool glasses of beverage?
Give Nikki a big hug from me!

Cheers
L

  callwill Jul 25, 2010 8:24 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.