Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Purnululu National Park (The Bungle Bungle’s)

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 June 2010 | Views [699] | Comments [3]

We almost didn’t make it to the Bungle Bungles – Steve got mildly unwell which meant we needed to stay around Kunanurra for a bit longer.  On top of this the car has developed a big rear “knock”  when going over deep corregations – not surprisingly all the local mechanics are booked up for weeks, so we have booked it in for some TLC in Katherine in a weeks time.  The dilemma was (given what we had heard about the condition of the road leading into the Bungle Bungle’s… ie allow 3 – 4 hours for the 53 k trip in), we were not sure whether we should risk taking the car and trailer in it’s current fragile state.

But, decided to chance it, and we are so glad we did.  The road was really pretty good (especially in comparison to some of the others we have traversed) – it took about an hour ¾ for the trip in, and we have loved the Bungle Bungle’s.

 

We have managed to do all the walks (except the 2 day Piccaninny gorge walk due to time constraints – Steve and Ethan want to come back again to do this walk).  The scenery of this World Heritage listed National Park is stunning, amazing, magical and spectacular!  We included the very special treat of a helicopter ride over the Bungle Bungles including the red rock gorges, Piccaninny gorge, and the Behive Domes.  Ethan is thoroughly hooked, and has decided that he no longer wants to be a wine maker (after our visit to Margaret River) – but now wants to be a helicopter pilot.  Brin (our pilot) told him that he had better be nice to his parents as it costs around $70,000 dollars to get a license……. We think he will need to get a job  at Macca’s soon and start saving!!!!

 

Rather than tell you about Purnululu Nat. Park – we have included lots of photo’s, although not even these do it justice.  It really is a must to see if you ever get the chance.  It is amazing that it was only gazetted as a National Park in 1987 and there is an interesting story about why this is – ask me when I get back.

 

Whilst driving through the Park, we needed to cross a creek crossing (one of many), and, not unusually there were numerous cattle crossing the road, however on this occasion a very large white bull decided the Hilux was (? Another very large white bull), and started pawing the ground, snorting, and putting its head down to show us it’s very impressive horns.  (much like the cartoons, we were expecting steam to come out of its nose and ears…..anyway I’m sure you get the picture).  Thankfully we were able to accelerate  out of there before being taken on by this spirited bovine.

Comments

1

Oh we love Purnulu as much as you did - Paul was super keen to do the 2 day walk too! Maybe he can join the boys!
Funny about the bull - we also had a little poddy calf do the same on the road into Charnley River Station. It actually head butted the front of the car quite a few times - we all thought it was hilarious!!!!
The helicopter ride would have been spectacular - Ol will love to talk to Eth about that one.
See you in Katherine soon!!

  fops Jul 8, 2010 1:20 AM

2

Spent nearly an hour catching up on recent photos - hope we see as many interesting thing when we visit NW WA later this year. Going to Darwin on ghan, then cruise to Broome and land tour ex Broome and onto Perth for BPW Conf. Both well
love & cheers
Mary & Barry C

  Mary & Barry Jul 12, 2010 12:31 PM

3

Hola! Enjoy catching up on your adventures. I miss you here. Big hugs xxo

  Fran Jul 13, 2010 1:57 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.