Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Kunnanura / Wyndham & Surrounds

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 June 2010 | Views [555]

We did a long haul drive for the remainder of the

Gibb River Road

with the last 150k being corregated (but nothing like the road to Mitchell Falls).  Dodged roaming bulls, and unfortunately hit a wallaby – our first for the trip, and we all felt very shaken and upset about it afterwards.  We have had contact with the FOPS’ies and it seems we have all been in the Kimberley at the same time – but managed to dance around each other, never being at the same place at the same time.  So hopefully will catch up later in the trip at Katherine.

 

We have spent our time in this area of the world camped at the Parry Creek Farm Resort which had a very relaxed attitude to camping on their lovely 120 acre property.  It is right next door to the Parry Lagoon Nature Reserve which has been listed as “wetlands of International Importance” under the Ramsar convention.  This is a must do area for anyone interested in bird watching, and as budding ornithologists we spent quite some time in the bird hides, and have been able to tick off lots of birds in the bird book!

 

From here we have visited Wyndham, with it’s giant croc statue in the middle of town, it’s historic port, and of course the obligatory wine and cheese at sunset at the 5 rivers lookout.

 

In Kunnanurra we explored the Diversion Dam, the Ord River irrigation area, and spent a lovely time looking at the Zebra rock gallery.  Ethan was most impressed by these stripy rocks only found in this part of the world.  Swimming at the 300ft deep “Grotto” was very chilly, and time was spent exploring the El Questro Wilderness Park with it’s thermal pools ( Zebedee springs) Wonderful Gorges (Moonshine Gorge and Emma Gorge), and STEEP 4WD roads to lookouts on Saddle back ridge (which gave 360 degree views of the surrounding escarpments).

 

 

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.