Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

The Kimberley – along the iconic Gibb River Road!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 23 June 2010 | Views [413]

 

After our trip up the Ardi Penninsula on the Cape Leveque Road (which really was in terrible condition), I was a bit nervous about tackling the iconic Gibb River Road, however, so far it’s in great nick – yes there are some corregations but really so far its pretty good.

 

We spent the first two nights at Windjana Gorge National Park.  The lighting of the gorge at sunset was just stunning and we have now seen our first ‘freshie’s’ (crocs) – one of them hissed at Steve when he stumbled close to it accidently…… I must remember to check on his life insurance status!).   The next day we did the 7km WindjanaGorge walk in the morning and the Tunnel Creek walk in the after noon.    Tunnel Creek was perfect for a hot Kimberley afternoon, you walk through a rock tunnel (at times waist deep in water), in the pitch black (thank heavens for head torches).  The rock formations in the cave were wonderful, and at one point we were serenaded by hundreds of bats hanging overhead.

At the end of the tunnel you emerge into the dappled light of a tree-surrounded billabong.  Steve and Ethan stripped off for a swim, and we were joined by about 24 school boys and their three laissez-faire and friendly teachers.

 

A wonderful day, which concluded with a rest in the hammock, a lovely meal, a suitable beverage and the sort of deep sleep you get when you have actually physically tired yourself out.

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.