Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Ethan – Broome and the Ardi- Dampier Penninsula

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 14 June 2010 | Views [512] | Comments [1]

 

Hi everyone, how are you all going…… yeah I know it’s the same start as the last blog, but I like it.

 

Since leaving Ningaloo Reef we had a long long drive.  The road was flat, and we passed lots of skinny cows, and huge parched dry river beds.  It was hours and hours between the road houses whcth sold petrol.  At one of them mum bought a loaf of defrosted white bread for $6.50, and mum said we should frame the empty packet it was sooo expensive.

 

At Broome we stayed at a caravan park, and while we were there we went to cable beach and watched the sunset.  We saw a 4 metre high crystal Buddha at a “Buddist sanctuary”, we climbed down limestone cliffs to see some real dinosaur footprints that you can only see at low tide (I scrapped myself on the rocks while I was there), we visited a Japanese cemetery which had 900 graves of Japanese pearl divers, and we went to the historical museum to learn about the history of Broome.   One night we went to Sun open air theatre and watched Shrek the final chapter – it was awesome.

Also, one day we went into an aboriginal art gallery, and the lady there taught me about mens ceremonial paintings and women’s ceremonial paintings.  She taught me about the symbols on the paintings which represent; dancing, bush melons, meeting places, body painting etc. 

 

Before we left Broome I bought myself a digital camera which allows you to frame the photo’s you take with novelty surrounds like Halloween, birthday, etc.

 

Now we are camped north of Broome on the Ardi- Dampier peninsula at Third Lagoon.  We have been swimming and snorkeling and climbing around rock pools.  Dad got cut on some shells that are on the rocks.  The peninsula is home to the Aboriginal people of the Jawi, Bardi, Nyulnyul and Jimanburra language groups, and this area is all Aboriginal land. There are a number of small Aboriginal communities and we are staying at one here at middle lagoon.

Today we visited the church at Beagle Bay which had an altar that was covered in pearl and pearl shell.  (Broome used to be a big pearl diving area, and many aboriginals, Japanese and Chinese people died diving for the pearl master).

 

I got to play ‘age of empire’ tonight (mum and dad let me play once a week if I do well at my school / homework).  I won my battle.

 

By everyone, from your mate Ethan

 

PS :  I have been practicing Adrian and I think I might be able to beat you in age of empires now!!!!!

 

Bye again – that’s all.

Comments

1

From Nim: I really liked the photo of the dinosaur footprints, the church with its shells and the yellow sunset. I hope the bread tasted good for that price! Your holiday looks really fun. love nimah☻♥
From Ash: Thanks for the review on the latest Shrek movie- I'm looking forward to seeing it soon! The snorkelling looked great in the beautiful clear water. The sunsets and sky look amazing over that side of Australia. You've been lucky to see so many animals especially the giant monitor. Have you seen any whale sharks? Mum read the other day (at the hairdressers) that they mate there at this time of year or maybe it was the whales! The dinosaur footprint was mad - what size was it? Missing you lots. Chow, Asher☺

  Asher & Ni'mah Jun 17, 2010 5:16 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.