Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Pinnacles / Monkey Mia

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 8 June 2010 | Views [541] | Comments [2]

Although still wet (yep it seems to rain everywhere we go) – we are entering a more desert-like terrain.  We spent one overnight stop at North Cliff free camping area after we had been to explore the Pinnacles.  We were camped about 10 meters from the beach looking over the Indian Ocean.  It poured with rain – and the winds were amazingly strong.  Neither Steve or I slept well as I was sure we would be airborne at any moment and probably end up squashing a witch in Kanzas – since we are already in OZ.  (We had to stop off to buy more robust sand pegs at Geraldton after this! In fact the people camping next door had the metal prongs on their ocky straps completely straightened by the wind overnight!)  The 1st State of origin was being played early in the evening (we only know this as the campers further along were watching the game on their TV.  Steve had to go and say hello (and stay for a while!), as their loud cheers and groans were driving him crazy – not knowing who was winning or losing).

 

Next day we stopped at a large roadside pull-off area after a full days driving (along with about 30 caravans of various descriptions – mostly all headed for Broome).   We were reminded that the Nat. Park Ranger at Margaret River had told us that all the Nat. Park around Exmouth and Broome were already full, and that given that the campers can stay for 28 days there was not much chance of getting a spot in a National Park at either location.  We are further informed that the “golden oldies” set stay for the full 28 days and then have pre arranged to hand over their site to their friends.  Bless ‘em…. I’m just jealous no one is about to hand over a site when we are ready for one!! 

 

Next morning it was off early to Denham and the World Heritage Area of Shark Bay / Monkey Mia.  Got to the info center at around 10.30am so we were able to get a permit to camp at one of the four free beach camp sites in the Marine Reserve. (you can only stay one night and no advanced bookings are taken – so you just have to turn up on the day and hope for the best.  We have also purchased our passes for a trip to Monkey Mia tomorrow.  The rest of the day was lovely and restful.  A swim (wetsuit clad) in Shark Bay, a long creative game of “paddy melon” boules, and dinner whilst watching a beautiful West Australian sunset over the ocean.

 

Next day it was off to Monkey Mia (up at 5.45to be packed up and get there by 7.30).  Dolphin visit was at 8am.  Then we watched a terrific National Geographic documentary on dolphins in the theatre there – learnt some really interesting facts we didn’t know…. Plus it’s amazing how riveted we all were as we haven’t watched tv for 8 weeks.

 

After that it was a visit to Shell Beach and then to the Hamelin Pool.  This pool is also part of the Shark Bay World Heritage Area and contains stromatalites which are formed by cyanobacteria.  These interesting formations release O2 and have been around for 200 billion years apparently.  There are only 2 places on the planet that have abundant living stromatalites – here at Hamelin and in the Bahamas…….. (….Steve, can we go to the Bahamas just to check out the stromatalites????)

Comments

1

Hi Leanne, Steve and Ethan
Still following with great interest despite irregularly submitting comments-sorry! You're venturing into some areas now that I've always wanted to visit - thanks for the info' and photos. I must mention that I am soooo impressed that you guys didn't take a wee TV- I didn't know-good on you! It's the perfect time to have a TVbreak and ABC radio is all you need - hope you're managing to catch The Planet (on a.m.) at 2:30pm as there has been a lot of great music, as usual. We've just had a very relaxing 4 day break at Little Cove, Noosa - spent 10 minutes on Hastings Street, a lot more in the National Park and even more on the calm, postcard-perfect, winter-heated, uncrowded beaches. Have been back at work 2 days and already wishing for more time-out from the everyday routine. You know, you do get addicted to change and daily variety so beware!!! We would like to see you back here within your 7-8 month plan and not longer! Thank you for the Birthday wishes, however, I musn't have mentioned that I wasn't turning.. that age... until September so we can celebrate together! I did splurge a little though, around the actual date, and after a few hours in the city came home with numerous eco-purchases including a couple of colourful, quirky finds from Children of the Revolution- purple lace-ups and criss-cross emerald shoes!
Keep having a glorious, adventurous and safe journey.
Love to all, Terri and family XX

  Terri & co Jun 9, 2010 2:32 PM

2

Hi Terri,
thanks for the message - so lovely to hear from you (the shoes sound divine... so jealous!)
Haven't been able to see the planet - no access to TV at all unfortunately! Plus missing the new series of Gruin Transfer too. Oh well.
Yeah - so happy we will be back to help celebrate the big birthday!! I am so looking forward to being able to catch up for a jam as well... I have really been missing your beautiful voice - its just not the same plunking away on the guitar by myself.
hugs to everyone
Leanne

  callwill Jun 14, 2010 9:25 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.