Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Kinchega – Peterborough – Flinders Rangers / Wipena Pound - 20th April (Happy Birthday Mum!)

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 April 2010 | Views [383]

 

After a flying stop in Peterborough – which would be loved by the train enthusiasts amongst us (models of trains adorn the town, which are made by the local working blacksmith, and it hosts an impressive railway museum) – but my focus was to visit the IGA, wash the clothes, the people, and upload the blog (yeeha …..internet  reception). 

 

There was a large group of middle aged bikers - (no doubt Dr’s, lawyers, and accountants who are channeling the ‘rebel without a cause’ within) who also pulled in for an overnight stop (apparently on a motorbike outback tour – complete with support vehicles / tents/ small mousy women with small mousy dogs, and an ample supply of leather pants).  Huge variety of bikes (all very expensive Steve assures me) from the ultra modern sporty types to vintage models – Steve as you can imagine was in a kind of drooling envious stupor by the end of the evening – and I suspect was making motorbike sounds in his sleep!

 

It was then a lovely leisurely drive to Rawnsley Park Station at Wilpena pound.  Rawnsley Station was first leased to pasturalists in 1851 and has had a varied farming history until the current creative leaseholders decided to supplement the income from farming and grazing with tourism in the 70’s.  Now it is predominantly a caravan park / tourist park with cabins and “eco villa’s”.  Lovely people – very friendly and obliging.  Normally we try to spend most of our time camping in National Park campsites, but the Flinders Ranges / Wilpena Pound is one of the few National Parks where the campsites are exclusively privately owned. 

 

We have spent 4 nights here – occupying our days with hikes, and 4WD tours of the gorges and the spectacular scenery to be found at Wilpena Pound. 

 

I have discovered a whole new sport – caravan park people watching…….. it is so much fun – for those of you who have already caught on to the related sport of coffee shop people watching – this is just as interesting, as the variety of rigs / set ups / and stories to be invented is endless.  In actual fact, we are meeting some wonderful people of all ages and from all walks of life – who generously share their stories and tales of caravan and camping adventures.  Giving us great tips on where to stop / where to avoid / where to make sure you fill up with diesel or groceries before the prices skyrocket etc.  Someone needs to harness the collective wisdom of these nomadic individuals and publish a book – or perhaps it has already been done.

 

As I type this – Ethan is off with his “adopted family” of the moment.  We met a family from Brisbane whilst hiking who have been on the road for the last 5 months and who have a son in grade 5 and another son in grade 3.  AND – they are travelling in a HUGE fully equipped van – which (very importantly for 10 year olds) – has a wii!  So all three boys are currently getting a screen-time fix and having a ball socializing with each other.

 

As yet I haven’t managed to work out how to reply to any of your comments on the blog (or even if that is possible) , but can I please tell you how much we are all appreciating reading your words.  Somehow it makes us feel connected to the people we love and care about!  And…. Your comments  are always guaranteed to make us smile.   I am actually surprised that I have already been quite homesick (for heavens sake it has only been 2 weeks – and we regularly go for longer holidays – but I think just knowing that this trip is for so long I am experiencing “anticipatory” homesickness!  Not sure if there is such a thing – but if not, we have just invented it!).

 

As expected there is no phone or internet reception here – and we don’t expect to have any for the next few weeks, so will upload this blog when we can.

Cheers everyone!

 

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.