Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Sunday 4th April - And we have lift off………

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 6 April 2010 | Views [293] | Comments [1]

 

Sunday 4th April – up and 5am and still we weren’t actually on the road till 8am.  There were mixed feelings as we headed off, madly waving goodbye to Vanessa, our kitties, and our purple abode – none of which we would see again for quite a long time.

 

We headed through Warick, and via Tenterfield – lunch at Glen Innes  (not that I saw a great deal of the trip up until that point as I was fast asleep – catching up on the last three sleepless nights before departure!!!)

 

We then had to cut across to Narribri  in order to gain access to the Mount Kaputar National Park.  By the time we made it up the steep windy road to the camp ground it was just getting dark (about 6pm).  Lovely to have some friendly faces to greet us, as Paul Fran Oliver and Sienna had been camping here over Easter.  Ethan and Oliver were soon off and away making guns out of sticks and both of them talking a million miles an hour.

 

It is cold….. for us from the temperate climes of BrisVegas it feels very very cold.  But the scenery is spectacular.  Mount Kaputar National Park is on the Nandewar Range.  It has elevations of up to 1510 meters above sea level.  The vegetation is really variable from eucalypt woodlands, heathlands and the higher levels have subalpine vegetation and snow gums.  The views are just fantastic and we have been doing hikes each day around the mountain (so far the # foot is holding up well except when the walk involves rock scrambling which causes it to bend in odd ways).   (Doris you would love this area if you haven’t been here already – lots of day long or half day hikes).

 

Today we headed off on a 5k hike before lunch – unfortunately about 10 minutes in it started pouring with rain.  We were all drenched to the skin by the end of the hike – shoes , coats, hats the lot.  The camp is now gaily festooned with clothing flags as they try to dry.  With any luck we will be able to upload some photos to show you all our bedraggled state! 

Currently planning to stay 3 or 4 days here before moving on – would be nice to get things dry before heading off!

 

Comments

1

Guys, we've come back to non-stop rain too and it was raining when we left. What' going on? Our geography of Australia will improve following ya all. Hope you have some dry clothes now - it's always fun to hang out in a laundrette in an outback town -a warm and cosy place to meet some locals. LOL

  Terri & co Apr 21, 2010 1:34 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.