Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

“Shall We Dance?”

USA | Saturday, 20 February 2010 | Views [1166]

In this movie, Susan Sarandon’s character (Beverly Clark) says to her private investigator, “Why is it do you think - people get married…because we need a witness to our lives.  There’s a billion people on the planet.  What does any one life really mean?  In a marriage, you’re promising to care about everything – good, bad, terrible, mundane things, all of it, all the time, every day!  Your saying…your life will not go unnoticed, because I will notice it.  Your life will not go unwitnessed, because I will be your witness.”

Who dances with you?  What kind of dances do you do?  My parents, grandparents, and later my husband’s parents were all key dancers in our lives!  And they cared about our children more than anyone.  What a gift -  to pick up a phone, push a few numbers & be connected to a friendly voice who asks, “Hey, how are the kids?  What are they doing in school?  Are they over the flu?  They would ask about our lives too.  Later, when our kids had gone away to college…or another country, they would inquire, “What do you hear from the girls?  How do they like their work?”  We’ve had the kind of parents that took a GREAT deal of interest in life.  In our dance, we witnessed each other’s lives.  We had not always fully appreciated this...but one-by-one, these parental witnesses are almost gone and we look back. 

Witnessing – even from pets, is comforting.  It can often happen in small ways as you notice the grocery cashier & offer a compliment or thank the street cleaner for doing such a great job.  But the kind of witnessing I am thinking of, is not only a comfort, it’s supportive.  It’s the kind that offers suggestions - maybe advice; it’s a physical presence – like muscles for help in moving, or just a receptive, non-judgmental listening ear.  I know that listening is more difficult than speaking.  But our parents excelled!  They listened to a lot of our crazy ideas without judgment --- like plans for taking off to Europe (for months…) after buying a farm --- like hearing we were moving 3,000 miles with a 4-mo old, to a place where we had no jobs --- like listening to my idea of “ Lets take both garage doors out & install sliding glass doors for a BIG playroom!”  My father not only listened, but also made my dream come true!  He did an awesome job!

Extended family, long-time friends & children also play this witnessing role.  They’ve listened to our wild plans of where we wanted to live & been patient with us when we changed our minds!  Our daughters do that for each other too.  They take the time & spend the energy to be together in different cultures & work situations, sharing tips & commiserating on how best to cope.  As teachers, they have been witnesses to hundreds of student’s lives, & many of these students have been witnesses to their lives as well!  In meeting many of these students, I am amazed to see such joy, smiles, jokes, stories, & challenging truth.  This is the gift - the most important thing about witnessing - honest feedback! 

The honest reactions & comments we get from our daughters are GREAT!  I LOVE them!  Usually, they are soooo right!  Their observations show they care and have the courage & wisdom to tell us!  It can be an unexpected gift…that often makes us laugh…or smile at their insight.  

We have loved the witnessing role of being parents.  In addition to our own daughters, we have enjoyed sharing in the lives of three energetic, fun, challenging exchange students – from Spain, Germany & Sweden.  Although ‘hosting’ was a bit of work J (helping them with English & learning American culture), they brought fresh energy!  We shared with their families, went on road trips, played card games (without knowing their language), & enjoyed tasting their favorite foods!  We even learned how to swear in three languages!  

With both daughters living & working abroad, we have been introduced to other young people that needed a little boost (or witnessing) in getting through school – either because of cultural or financial issues.   We have been connected to SEED – Support, Educate, & Encourage Dalits (http://www.ashanet.org/projects/project-view.php?p=422) since 1999.  After our daughter spent a college term in southern India, we became partners with three girls in an after-school program that help underprivileged kids.  This program encourages children to succeed and stay in school - beyond the years when many girls typically get married (14-15 years old).   We have watched our 3 Indian ‘daughters’ grow into educated, productive, young women.  They have finished high school, college, have jobs, and also regularly return to SEED to tutor the younger ones.  They have been role models for us in their strength and generosity.

As benefactors of having had honest support in our lives, we are challenged to find ways to do it for others.  I recently joined Women for Women (http://www.womenforwomen.org/index.php) to support my new sister, Susane, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.  This organization allows me to be a distant witness to her life as she goes through this year of education & meetings where she learns new ways to support herself & large family.  Also, my oldest daughter is a big proponent of International Women’s Day (March 8th, her birthday).  This year there is an opportunity to participate in a ‘bridge’ campaign to provide support to women facing crises.  It is another opportunity to be a witness.  (http://www.womenforwomen.org/events-supporting-women/international-womens-day.php)

There are so many opportunities, to make a difference – to being a positive witness in another person’s life.

“It does take a village…”  It’s important to have caring, honest people witnessing our lives.  I knew when our kids were little that the more contact they had with other ideas, cultures, and families…the more opportunities they had for this kind of support.  As we engage in this dance of life, we all need to feel that our lives will not go unnoticed. 

Who are YOU dancing with?       

 

 

Tags: families, friends, marriage, people in our lives, witnessing

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.