Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Thanksgiving

THAILAND | Thursday, 27 November 2008 | Views [2336] | Comments [2]

kitten asleep in her food

kitten asleep in her food

11/27/08 Happy Thanksgiving!! 
We felt a bit sleepy, just like this little kitten, after our multi-ethnic Thanksgiving ‘potluck’ last night!  (See  'Photo Gallery' to the right --→)

Although it has not been a sun-filled island for the last 2 weeks (monsoon season with lots of rain, standing water in the streets, thunder & lightning) I shopped for Thanksgiving groceries on the back of a scooter going through ankle deep (or more) water!  I donned my croc shoes, rolled up my pants, wore my rain poncho & helmet & off we went – my friend from Canada & I.  A bit dangerous with the hidden potholes, but otherwise kind of fun!  And the weather cooperated with us as we got together in the outdoor restaurant last night – NO rain!

Our group included a couple other Americans and people from the UK, Australia...& Tasmania, Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Russia, Switzerland & the Thai people of course.   Quite an event - that just seemed to happen rather effortlessly.  After mentioning our idea to a few people, it just took off!  There were about 25 people that generously contributed roasted chickens, fruit, mashed potatoes & vegetarian gravy, Waldorf salad, fresh vegetable trays, crackers & cheese dips, wine, apple cider with pomegranate juice, sweet potatoes, popcorn, cookies, apple & pumpkin pies!  The restaurant just let us take it over & even added watermelon to our meal. 

Three stories: 1) Chuck bought a green vegetable that he thought might be a good replacement for celery, which we couldn’t find at the time.  We didn’t know what it was, so I brought it to the restaurant staff to just give to them.  But they took it a step further & cooked it up for the meal – NICE!! 2) I needed a stove to make the gravy, so ‘Jam’ let me use her kitchen…when the gravy came out a bit too salty, she tasted it & said, “Oh, BIG salt.”  Yes, it was too salty, so she immediately began cooking up some more ingredients to add to it - it did taste better!  3) Dim, the manager, gave us flowers for our anniversary, but with the monsoon winds, the vase broke.  I asked for another vase for the table, but she quickly dumped them, cut fresh flowers & made a spectacular 3-foot arrangement!   Amazing, generous staff! 

It really doesn't matter what you eat, where you gather or what you wear. What's important is that you take a moment to reflect and give thanks.  I am thankful for: the sun’s warmth & sky’s ever changing colors; being able to explore our beautiful earth; my husband of 35 years who nurtures & shares in that exploration; our daughters who challenge me to higher ground & who have paved the way to those mountain tops; extended family who provide loving support and diversity; our generous friends here & all over the world who maintain contact & provide support; music that makes my heart & soul sing, even though I cannot (sing); and our wild & domesticated animals who are such a delightful example of living in the moment!   I am also very grateful for the Internet, elastic waistbands & mosquito repellant!  Oh, & then there is butter!  A Scandinavian cannot live on bread alone!  I have to have the real stuff!  Thanks everyone! Enjoy your holidays!  AND the LEFTOVERS!!!

Comments

1

A wonderful list! And I'm thankful for wonderful parents who have encouraged and supported all my wild and crazy endeavors! Have a happy happy thanksgiving!

  Kirsten Nov 27, 2008 3:30 AM

2

As I sit here trying to think of something to say to you, Little Henry is hiding behind my laptop & pops up saying "Boo, MaMa"! For THAT I am thankful.

And I am also thankful for you and your family...for I live thru your adventures!

Kirsten, I'm glad you wrote in...crazy times in India today. Take special care.

Love to all four of you from all of us in Portland. Happy Thanksgiving!

  Karen Nov 27, 2008 2:58 PM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.