Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

A 60th birthday

SOUTH KOREA | Friday, 10 October 2008 | Views [1356]

Ann & Kels at dinner

Ann & Kels at dinner

YIKES!!!  Difficult for me to believe!!!
A sunny day - started out with croissants (nice treat) from Kels, coffee, & yogurt – while talking with Chuck via Skype.  We were running late, so we took a taxi instead of the city bus to her middle school where we had only 3 classes, but 2 of them sang Happy Birthday – caught one group on video!  THEY are so cute!!!

Classes went well – there were a lot of “Ahhhhhhs” when they asked how old I was – maybe a good thing as older people either get quite a bit more respect or some of the older women I have heard, just take their respect…cutting in line at banks or waiting for the taxi!  In Korean age, I would be 62 – so guess I like American age better!  I also received a box of chocolates from one of the teachers whose husband owns the “Chocolate House – beautifully individual designed chocolates.  

After walking around the students’ art displays, watching a bit of their gym class exercises, & helping a student prepare for an English speaking contest, I walked to the Oriental Medicine clinic for another “treatment.”  This time I declined their glass cupping, so they hooked me up to a gentler ‘rubber’ cupping that massages.  Nice & relaxing…then on to acupuncture…also relaxing.  

I was kind of late getting out of there…got picked up by Kels & one of her Korean teacher friends who took us a couple miles south to a beach & close to the restaurant.  What a beautiful evening – walking by the squid fisherman organizing their nets & listening to the waves.

Kels & I walked up to the 5-star Hotel Maremons (http://www.asiarooms.com/south_korea/sokcho/hotel_maremons.html) where we had a special Italian buffet.  It was on the top floor- Sky lounge - private areas with leather chairs & a couch overlooking the ocean – sooooo NICE!!!   There were wonderful salads, many hot entrees with a variety of fish, salmon, pasta, cream & veg sauces, & delicious cr of mushroom soup!  The dessert buffet was good too – some things I had never seen – fruit with spines…fun to try everything!   Also, Chuck had secretly packed away cards & gifts – THANKS!  And Bobbie had sent pictures, gifts & many, many cards – the ‘perfect’ one was in there - the Obama card!  Thanks Bobbie!  Nice touch! ☺  Nice to get birthday e-mail cards as well – thanks to you all!!

After dinner, we went to Expo park - walked around listening to a music concert, watched families & kids playing in a water ride, & checked out the stalls of food, products, & art.  A taste of a slightly sweet raspberry wine (gift from Kelsey’s elementary co-teacher) before bed ended a perfect day!

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.