Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Steps of McLeod Ganj

INDIA | Monday, 26 November 2007 | Views [803] | Comments [1]

11.26.07 The STEPS of McLeod Ganj!

I thought these steps would be the end of me!  The infamous steps are the ones to our apt, AFTER we had already walked up a ¾-mile steep hill from school to the market area.  Therefore, I purchased a telescoping walking stick to steady myself where there were no railings & where the steps were steep, uneven, narrow (1/3 the length of my foot), and sometimes crumbling or competing with the plumbing. 

Going down the steps in the morning made me nervous!  There was no surgeon or trauma hospital within hours or miles, so falling down the steps or over the edge (& breaking anything) was NOT an option!  Even if one didn't break anything, there was the possibility of infection from the raw sewage in the ditches!  Building, plumbing, or electrical codes do not appear to exist!  If they do…it is not evident!

In the evening, when going back up the 133 steps steps, carrying groceries with one hand and a walking stick in the other, in the dark, with a headlamp attached to my hat, I longed for our spacious car, with door-to-door convenience!  .

Tags: Daily Life

Comments

1

are your knees talking to you? Your body is doing a remarkable job of cooperating with your adventurous life.

  joanne Grefsrud Feb 7, 2008 1:34 PM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.