Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Below the Elbe

GERMANY | Sunday, 12 October 2014 | Views [459]

Biking through the Elbe Tunnel

Biking through the Elbe Tunnel

I woke up in the morning to find out that Simon and Sarah were still out at the club. Steffen was around, so I hung out with him and talked about a few good electronic dj’s while he used his impressive dj setup to spin some tunes. I sent a text to Simon to let him know I was making breakfast and went off to start the French toast. Just as Steffen and I had finished eating a piece of French toast, Simon and Sarah got home. I threw a few more toasts in the skillet while they took a quick cat nap on the couch.

After breakfast, Simon, Sarah, Steffen and I went to the train station and rented a few bikes to go around the city. We took a nice ride around the old industrial part of Hamburg (I’ve been told it will all soon be nice new apartments) south of the Elbe. Then we arrived at the Old Elbe Tunnel (aka St. Pauli Elbtunnel) which was a tunnel for cars that went under the river Elbe. A giant elevator took vehicles down to the tunnel and back up. It connected the docks on one side of the river with the industrial sector on the south side of the river and was built in 1911. Nowadays, motor vehicle traffic is restricted to particular times of the day during the week. The remaining time is open to pedestrians. It was a really unique tunnel (check out some pictures on the internet). It was especially fun because we were on a boat on the Elbe the day before we cycled under the Elbe.

On the other side of the tunnel we rode up to Reeperbahn and grabbed a kebab from The Döner Company, rode through the Herbertstraße corridor and arrived at a park by the river (Park Fiction). We ate our döner and had a drink while we watched the river. It started to get dark and we decided it was time to head back and biking was probably not the best idea (Simon and Sarah still hadn’t slept much). We dropped the bikes at the S-bahn station and went back to the apartment. The rest of the night was spent hanging out and watching Sons of Anarchy.

Tags: biking, elbe tunnel, germany, hamburg, park fiction, party all night, sarah, simon, steffen

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.