Existing Member?

Where ARE We? Kent & Anna retire and travel the world

Uluru Sunrise

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 8 March 2014 | Views [108]

We've left Cairns and have flown to the other seriously iconic Australian attraction – Uluru. (Also known as Ayer's Rock.) It's another early morning, our second consecutive one. The temp was about 17°C, much cooler than we had at any time in Cairns. We made our way out to the sunrise viewing area and made it there about 15 minues before the posted sunrise time. The light was delayed a bit due to low clouds on the horizon, but that didn't diminish the glory of watching Uluru expand with the glowing sunlight. We waited for the crowds to disperse and drank more coffee in our rental car (the flies took a while to wake up, but they were pretty active by 0730). We drove over to the trailhead for the Kuniya Walk, which took us up closer to "The Rock" and gave us an opportunity to study the grooves, pits, and other distinguishing marks on its surface. As Anna remarked, it's easy to see how the aboriginals attached supernatural meaning to this feature.

 

About taylortreks

Kent & Anna

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.