Existing Member?

Where ARE We? Kent & Anna retire and travel the world

Kuranda Scenic Railway

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 March 2014 | Views [114]

There are plenty of shops in Kuranda (http://www.kuranda.org/), running the gamut from tourist traps to native art. We found some nice limited edition prints of parrots that were just right for Pam, in addition to a picturesque tropical scene for ourselves. The rain continued to come down and drowned our plans to visit the Koala Gardens. We were contented with wandering through the shops and eating lunch. We boarded the 1400 train back to Cairns. The Kuranda Scenic Railway (http://www.ksr.com.au/), built between 1882 and 1891, is considered an engineering feat of tremendous magnitude. Hundreds of men were employed to build the 15 hand-made tunnels and 37 bridges that stand as a monument to the pioneers of tropical North Queensland. We made one quick stop at the Barron Falls lookout for our last peek at the Falls before continuing on the rest of the trip. There were several curves where we could see the end of the train (we had one of the most forward carriages). Near the end of our trip, there was a horseshoe bend of 180 degrees where we could see most of the rest of the train. We also passed by a couple of smaller waterfalls. We completed our journey in late afternoon and spent the rest of our time relaxing with dinner and reading.

 

About taylortreks

Kent & Anna

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.