Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Obersalzberg

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 11 October 2015 | Views [477] | Comments [1]

It's Cold. In Obersalzberg

It's Cold. In Obersalzberg

Cold, wet and drizzly with overcast skies and low cloud cover. Sounds good? The weather finally caught up with us. Today was the day we were going to do the Grossglockner high alpine road but with -3 and snowing we decided against it.
We headed out of town for "Eagles Nest", Hitlers retreat about a 2 hour drive from kufstein. On the way we were stopped by police at a checkpoint. He stuck his head in,smiled and we were through. On the other side though a full on traffic block had the traffic blocked back for Kilometres. Poor buggers!
 Arriving at Obersalzberg where you get the bus to "Eagles Nest" it was cold, drizzly and visibility was low. Decision made that you would not get any form of view or satisfaction so we abandoned the idea. There was however a learning centre here that also encased the Bunker that Hitler had built. A museum that traced Hitler from his youth to his suicide. It was in some ways morbid and confronting but it did not colour it up and therefore I think a good learning establishment. The bunker itself was huge and it ran for 6Klm and covered 22000square metres. Not all of this is public.
Lunch then back down the  mountain. Alain had driven up but Katrina jumped in the seat and off we went. It was good fun as the heckling and advice from the back seat flowed for a while. Kerry had jumped in the other seat and became co-pilot. The weather had not lifted until well down the mountain. Onto the freeway and BAM!! we were caught in the same traffic jam that we had looked at in the morning. 1.5 hours we were caught in the damn roadblock. Worried that they might do a licence check resulted in Katrina relinquishing the drivers seat. Got to the front and waved through. Crazy.
Dinner at the restaurant from last night was another great meal. Early night as we are up early tomorrow for Milan.

 

Comments

1

Good to see the girls have a go.
Hope Milan is warmer.

  Sonia Oct 12, 2015 9:28 AM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.