Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Lady Elliot Island

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 7 November 2013 | Views [627]

A perfect morning for our flight to Lady Elliot Island. Up early to catch the plane. It's a small eight seater and we were issued with ear plugs for the flight. What a beautiful view as we fly toward the Island. Being lower in altitude while flying allows you to see detail of the landscape and pods of Dolphins as you wing overhead across the ocean. 40 minutes later into view comes the Island sitting majestically in the sea of Blue with a halo of Turquoise around it. The runway is sand and grass and runs down the middle of the Island. Perfect landing and we are in Paradise ( even though a noisy one with all the birds, but you soon do not notice this)

The island is an Eco Resort that caters for approx 100 guests maximum. It is owned by an individual and has its own planes that service the Island. Everything is eco friendly and sustainable. The island itself is a bit like a peanut shape with the runway down the middle which runs from one side to the other. Lagoon beach area one side with the deeper water on the other. The water is pristine and beautiful from aqua to deep blue. The Island is home to a multitude of birds. The main resident colonies are Rail Birds, White capped Noddy's and Bridal terns. They camp everywhere as there are NO predators so you have to be careful not to walk on them.

Swimming was awesome as we were lucky to encounter turtles both in the lagoon and mating in the deeper water. The coral is well looked after and the fish are plentiful and varied. The day flew by as we swam and relaxed in this beautifully serene enviornment.

Too soon and we were off back home. This time we were in the 14 seater and we flew the scenic route back to Hervey Bay via Fraser Island ( absolutley spectacular)

This is a trip not to be missed and is something you could easily do again and again whith benefits of learning each time. Wendy and Peter came with us and have been numerous times.

There is the ability to stay overnight in cabins if you want to experience an experience like no other.

All in all a wonderful day 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.