Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Fraser Island

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 4 November 2013 | Views [790]

Today we headed for Fraser Island. Off we went in Peter's patrol for the 20 minute drive to where the ferry leaves from. A 40 minute crossing and we were on Fraser Island. Tyres deflated we prepared to tackle the route from Kingfisher Resort to Lake McKenzie and beyond. Into the sand we trundled. 3 minutes and 52 seconds later the exclaimation from Celeste rang out " This is Madness" Soft Soft sand was our roadway with the bump, dip and holes suitably placed. About 3 klms in things got tough and we were stopped by a particularly soft patch. Peter ( Mr Invinsible ) as Wendy has named him rocked and inched his way out of the bog we were in. Another go and down again. Once again Pete got us out. A Nissan Navare came up behind and after a chat we pulled out and let him through. Down he went to his axle and he was stuck! No amount of digging was getting him out. The Resort 4 wheel drive tour bus came up behind us with the driver jumping out. After assessing the situation "not enough clearance in those for here" she declared along with " If you can't do this track here you can't get round the island" she grabbed a tow line and hauled the Navare backwards out of the bog he was in like a cork out of a bottle and she was off. We decided to deflate the tyres a bit more and have another crack. We got through only to be stopped by the bogged Bus. She had called for the tractor to haul  her out  so we turned around and headed back for lunch and to reconsider. We caught up with the  Navare driver later in the afternoon who told us he had to walk about 3 klms back to the resort as he tried to keep going and overheated and sheared his fan blades. Someone would have to go out and get his car back.

At the Resort we met Peter Meyer the Photographer . Our Peter Meyer introduced himself and after a chinwag we decided to have another go at getting to Lake McKenzie  Lunch done we piled back in and off we went. Past the bog of before we went, passed the bus bog and into the heart of the Island. Mr Invincible was enjoying the drive with Celeste every  now and then letting out a shriek or two. The sand was as soft as fairy floss due to no rain for quiet a few months. Many of the resort staff commented to us later that they hadn't seen it like this before.

After about 40 minutes Lake McKenzie spread out before us like an oasis in the middle of nowhere. It's beautiful with warm water and sand so white and fine it didn't stick to you. Celeste and Wendy went in for a swim and we spent time sitting at the waters edge soaking in the serenity. Good things must come to an end and we bundled back into the Patrol for the trip back. Unfortunatly we did not have time to see anything else that  was planned due to the fun of the morning but  more of the island can be for next time. The experience we had was memorable and fun. The trip back on the ferry was uneventful and Pizzas and a beer  for dinner capped off a great day.

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.