Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Kufstein

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 10 October 2015 | Views [512] | Comments [1]

In our laneway Kufstein

In our laneway Kufstein

Kufstein the target for today. Quick breakfast then into the van. Damn! the carpark barrier would not let us out. After a regroup and the final attention of the carpark attendant we were off.
Roads full of trucks but once again the right hand lane was at a crawl with trucks but the other lanes pretty well running. After about 1 hour we left Germany and entered Austria. It felt like the countryside immediatly changed like the leaves turning golden and brown do as seasons change. Hills and mountains reaching skyward with the towns and villages in the valley below.
Once again roadworks coming into town made navigating difficult. Gavinshka going "turn right" road barrier saying "No entry". Eventually with a bit of leg work we found our hotel the Auracher Lochl. Family run hotel down a small alleyway just inside "Old Town". Built in 1409 it's right on the river. It is in the historic alleyway called Romerhofgasse which is renowned for its wine bars.
Settled in and car parked it was a short walk to the Kufstein Fortress. Set imposingly looking over Kufstein it can be accessed by covered walkway or cable car. Built over many years starting in 1205. A very imposing and impressive battlement that over the years has changed hands but kept growing.
Very cool today and the breeze is cold and cutting with grey skies and only the occasional glimpse of blue.
Dinner was across the laneway at a restaurant owned by our hotel. Absolutley fantastic. Celeste and I had a Tyrolean tasting plate that was enough to feed a small army. Others had Ribs and Schnitzel. Great meals by all accounts. Kerry ordered a Souffle, what a piece of art it was. Huge and yummy. 4 people had a go and still it didn't get finished.
Rolled across the road to our hotel.

 

Comments

1

Sounds like a stressful bit of driving today. Nice work.
Hard to get your head around everything being so old. Imagine the people who had slept in the room before you.

  Sonia Oct 11, 2015 10:14 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.