Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Venice to Burano

ITALY | Saturday, 26 September 2015 | Views [220] | Comments [2]

Burano

Burano

A good sleep other than someone pushing our door buzzer through the night. Awoke refreshed and brekkie was cereal, toast with tomato, ham and cheese. Headed toward the market down by the Grand Canal where it was in full flight. Plenty of fruit from all over the world including bananas from Australia. Fishmongers with fish so fresh they glistened. Huge slabs of Tuna alongside many other varieties.
Onto the Vaperetto and we headed out to Murano for a brief stop famous for Glass making which is about 30 minutes away. Then onto Burano which is a beautiful town where the houses are washed in all the colours of the rainbow. This is where the lacemaking takes place and the work is exquisite. Lunch sitting on the canal edge eating a pannino was lovely.
Back onto the water transport and around the other side to the island of Lido. Jumped off looking for a toilet and wound up having an espresso ( best I have tried so far ) Back across to the start of the Grand Canal and jumped off at San Marco. A beautiful structure with a  huge square surrounded by intricate stonework on the buildings. A human tidal wave slowly moved across the square and drifted into the laneways before dispersing in all directions.
Kerry in charge this afternoon of all things not getting lost (including us). Brought us out at the Rialto bridge and back in. Again. Turn left, turn right, we were soon back into familiar territory. Lemoncello bottles bought, Icecream aquired and consumed saw us back to our apartment just in time for the church bells that are on our square to herald our arrival. Weary feet at 5.30 in the afternoon we put up before they need to take us out to dinner! Late inclusion. Check out weary traveller photo in Venice Gallery.

 

 

Comments

1

Nice piece of writing Pete. Can nearly taste the coffee.

  Sonia Sep 27, 2015 10:20 AM

2

Venice is the type of place that even if you did want a slow day, you get swept up in the mayhem anyhow, whether you like it or not.

  Katrina Sep 27, 2015 4:36 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.