Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Road to Como

ITALY | Monday, 28 September 2015 | Views [328] | Comments [2]

Opposite our apartment

Opposite our apartment

Wandering Venice on our last day was a carefree look down the alleyways and shops that we passed days earlier. Hop on, hop off the water transport as we criss cross the Grand Canal. Early evening we had a Gondola ride down part of the Grand Canal and into the back waterways that snaked around deteriorating buildings that have aged by the water contact. The ride was lovely and smooth as the Gondolier gently guided us through his patch of the world.
Last dinner in Venice was by the canal at a very nice restaurant. Pizza was the order of the day and a good choice for me. Celeste had a Lobster Pasta dish which was also delicious. Pork, Pasta and Red wine was also on the menu for our travelling companions.
After dinner we headed to Saint Marks square where we watched musicians that had set up around the square play music to the appreciation of the crowd. Slowly we walked back along the "Rat run" that earlier in the day was full of people but now quiet. A full moon added to the atmoshere along with the lapping water sound as it hit the canal walls and sloshed up onto the pavement in areas. We will miss seeing the water invade the area as the full moon raises the water level. Platforms stacked strategically around ready to be laid down when the situation arises.
Up early the next day, tidy the apartment, pack bags, hop on the Vaperetto for the trip to the station. Onto the train for the 2 hours ride to Milano, pick up the car then drive to Como. While in Milano we went to the Duamo. What a spectacular Cathederal. Well worth the time to visit it. The square at front milled with people chilling out, gathering to talk and generally enloy the afternoon.
We picked up the car ( a Renault van ) and off we went to Como. Trials and tribulations as Gavinshka ( our G.P.S ) wasn't interested in where we were going so it was the map that got us moving in the right direction.
Arriving in Como at the hotel we didn't have a carpark so eventually we found one and the hotel agreed to pay the tolls as we had planned on not using it for the time here. Tomorrow we are going on Lake Como and also the Furnicular.

Comments

1

Sounds like you'll miss Venice.

  Sonia Sep 30, 2015 8:42 AM

2

All sounds wonderful. Enjoy Como it is one of my favourite places.

  Wendy Sep 30, 2015 7:44 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.