Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Venice

ITALY | Friday, 25 September 2015 | Views [219] | Comments [1]

Grand Canal

Grand Canal

Arrived in Venice to an overcast day around mid afternoon. Bought a 3 day Vaperetto pass to enable us to use public transport for 3 days. Half hour bus trip then Vaperetto ( water taxi ) to San Silvestro stop then 3 minute walk to our apartment. Up a few flight of stairs after we get through the 2 sets of doors of the laneway then 3 deadlocks on the apartment door we are in. Quite a big apartment with kitchen and an area big enough for us all to gather in. It overlooks a square and is pretty central to the Grand Canal and the Rialto Bridge which unfortunately for us is under renovation so much is boarded up across the sides. A stop at a supermarket to buy breakfast supplies should save us a few Euro.
A walk got us lost for a while as we meandered along over bridges, turning corners while craning necks looking at the washing hanging above our heads and marvelling at the age and various states of repair (or disrepair) of the buildings that shadowed us from both sides.
Kerry, Katrina and Andrew have been here before so we had instant guides to explain where we were. Very busy around the Rialto Brige area but we moved away from there to a square that Kerry and Andrew had been to before and we had some dinner while we watched the local kids and parents play soccer and chat as a community gathering.
A Vaperetto back to our stop with an icecream and coffee on the way to tide us over. Back to the apartment for the night as the sun as well as the temperature went down.

 

Comments

1

I hope it is all your expected it to be and more!

  Wendy Sep 26, 2015 11:09 AM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.