Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Antalya

TURKEY | Sunday, 20 September 2015 | Views [331]

Aspendos Theatre

Aspendos Theatre

Kas to Antalya is about 3 hours by car so we were picked up at 10am in a mini van for the trip. We hugged the coast for the majority of the way passing through countryside that was rocky and barren with scrub type vegetation through to agricultural areas. The country is hilly with the road climbing toward the heavens then diving back down again. Herds of wild goats can be seen roaming the sides of the hills and along the flats. Fantastic views of the ocean and cliffs as we go.
Antalya is HUGE and is built along the coast. We are in the "Old City " which is near the harbour and is bordered  by a high stone wall that was originally built to protect the inhabitants. Walking and sightseeing is tiring as the roads and alleys are undulating and in some parts quite steep with uneven cobblestone. The alleyways are narrow with old stone buildings now hosting a multitude of shops and accomodation. Andrew and Celeste did a bit of clothes shopping in the afternoon before the sun went down. All in all a pretty good day.
Showering in the morning and the sound of water falling around me competed with the rain falling outside. First bit of rain we have seen. 10 minutes later it stopped. Thats good as we have a tour today.
Into the bus with Farouk our guide. He tells us King Farouk was his dad but things got tough so he had to sell his camels and become a tour guide.! Off to the ruins of Perge and down came the rain. "Thor" God of thunder boomed and flashed as we scurried in between the arches and pillars of Perge. The Baths here are an excellent example of Roman baths and their construction.
Next to the port town of Side to see the Apollon temple. A coffee and off again to lunch which was nice but i will not dwell on and to Aspendos. Built in the 3rd century A.D. it is remarkable and holds 8000 people for concerts that are still held today in a theatre that looms skyward and needs no amplification. This is something not to be missed. The Aqueducts were built to carry fresh water to the town from the mountains 28 miles away and the story is to long to write so if you are interested then ask me!
A waterfall then home.
We are all having a traditional Turkish Bath tonight so stay tuned for that one. :)

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.