Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

The Hamam

TURKEY | Monday, 21 September 2015 | Views [222] | Comments [1]

Lady rolling Gozleme for our dinner

Lady rolling Gozleme for our dinner

Still alive and walking to be able to tell the tale of the Hamam. The Hamam is a traditional Turkish bath. We visited one just down from our hotel that was in excess of 700 years old.
The girls were taken into their own area and Alain, Andrew and I into another. Stripped of our clothes and wrapped in a loin cloth we were ushered into the first chamber. The 3 of us lay on a big marble slab shoulder to shoulder and sweated our proverbiales off for 20 minutes. As we chatted our voices reverberated around the domed chamber that perhaps had a tale or two to tell. In came the attendant. His name escapes me and we were ushered into another chamber, sat down and were promptly doused with hot water.
Placed on a slab type table exposed to the world we were doused with water and scrubbed from head to toe with a Scotch  Brite type mitt. One by one we were done, flipped over with tackle flailing and done again then promptly doused again with hot and cold water.
Next was the soap .Great fun and we were laughing and having a good time as he soaped up a huge cloth, put air into it which turned it into a foamy balloon then rubbing us down. Bubbles everywhere and feeling very clean promptly doused again with water.
Back on the warm meat slab came the massage. Rub Rub Rub  3 men in a tub ( in this case on a table ) as we were prodded and pulled. Each of us managed an " oooh" or "aaah " at times to the attendants amusement. More water poured, thrown at and over us then wrapped and with modesty resored ushered into another room for oiling. We passed the girl's as we paraded our squeaky clean bodies and into the oiling room.
Duly oiled we were done and after about 2 hours we were free. It certainly proves that it is a social activity and cannot be rushed.
Out into the street at 10.30pm we headed for a well earned coffee. Very interesting to watch the traffic police have cars towed away illegally parking in "Old Town" Squirt tyres with detergent and drag them onto back of tray truck. Gone in under 2 minutes. Bad luck owners!
All in all an interesting experience in a traditional Turkish Hamam.
Flight to Cappadocia was easy. Arrived early afternoon checked in to our beautiful stone cave room. Gozleme for a snack. Hope to balloon flight tomorrow. No balloons went up last 2 days due to bad weather ( wind ) Fingers crossed.

Sorry no photos of us in Hamam due to no cameras would work in steam.

 

 

Comments

1

Well certainly sounds like you will not forget that experience.

  Shaz Sep 22, 2015 9:24 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.