Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Marmaris to Fethiye

TURKEY | Thursday, 17 September 2015 | Views [226]

We left the Doga Hotel in style being picked up and transfered by private transport to the port of Marmaris for the 4 day Gulet cruise. Along the way the landscape changed to agricultural with fields of Olive, Mandarin , sunflower and other crops. All the while the constant presence was the mountain ranges that loomed around us.
Marmaris is a beautiful port situated at the base of a mountain range that swept down to the sea. Very busy with yachts, liners and boats tied up in dock. Our boat ,the Gulan Sultan is a lovely wooden sailing gulet. 15 of us are on board and after the introduction we put our bags in the cabins and we set sail for paradise island. Anchored in a small bay we jumped overboard for a swim in the clear blue water. AAAAhhh so relaxing.
The cabins are small but functional and if you get too hot you can sleep on the deck. It's a family run boat with 5 crew. No phones or wifi for 4 days. Technical detox ahead!! Dinner was chicken and salad with the obligatory beer. Night fell and peace on earth reigned. We retired to bed and listened to the water lap  against the boat and the shore.


Morning broke at about 6am and the sun came up very quickly. Breakfast was on deck looking across the clear calm water back to the Bay of Marmaris and was very pretty. The morning was spent swimming and lazing on deck. After lunch a few of us took a small boat (called a putt putt due to the sound of the engine) to Turtle Island where turtles may or may not be (none today) some tombs from 400BC and mud baths. Kerry, Andrew, Katrina and Alain went in but I wasn't going in anything that smelt that bad (a cross between sulphur and phosporous) Back to the boat as sunset came upon we were welcomed by the smell of the wood BBQ going and whole fish cooking for dinner. Yum.


Next morning the engine fired up at 5.30am as we were moving to another bay up the coast on the Agean sea. The sun peaked over the mountains but not before the golden glow of morning covered the ocean in a blanket of gold. Breakfast is a simple fare comprising of eggs, cheese, olives, salad and bread with tea or coffee. Swimming in Crystal bay was a lovely way to spend the morning. We up anchored about midday to head to the next bay where we will spend the afternoon and evening. The water is so blue and so clear that when schools of fish drifted  passed us the crew threw in a line with 2 hooks baited with bread and hauled in the catch. The clarity of the water is so good you watch the fish take the bait. As the sun began to set a flock of sea birds settled on the craggy outcrop near where we had anchored for the night.


The morning greeted us with its now familiar glow and warmth with a slight breeze. After breakfast a swim was in order and we settled on deck for a relax. A phone call and we up anchored as the tour company had sent word we were being picked up an hour earlier than planned. No problem, no one in the water and we cruize to our next and final stop.
Moored up a bit closer to Fethye we jumped in and had a swim where a loggerhead turtle was swimming leisurley backward and forth. Even though we are closer to civilisation the water is crystal clear with small fish swimming in large groups. A lot more smaller yachts are out today as the breeze has enticed them out with sails billowing. All the while as we have travelled this part of the coast on the Agean Sea the mountains have been a constant companion either rolling down to the sea or maintaining a presence in the distance.
It has been a rewarding experience on the boat meeting great people and immersing ourselves in the beauty of the country while travelling peaacefully along the waterway.
A car transfer in the late afternoon for 3 hours will take us to Kas for 2 nights.

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.