Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Pamukkale Travertines

TURKEY | Sunday, 13 September 2015 | Views [669] | Comments [3]

Pamukkale Travertines

Pamukkale Travertines

Morning pick up for our trip to Pamukkale Travertines we jumped on the bus and up the back on this one as pick up had got others from other hotel before us. Sardines in a can we were but it's only a 3 hour trip.
The Pamukkale Travertines are on the World Heritage List. They are formed by thermal waters in it's borders and look like perfectly piled cotton heaps. When they glisten in the sun they can be seen from 20klm away. Calcium Carbonate precipitates in the pools and the reaction with the air forms the Travertines. Very spectacular and paddling in the waters is very soothing on the ankles that are a bit like sausages at present. The area also has ruins but the Travertines were the highlight in my opinion. Water is scarce at the moment so the flows aren't as heavy as can be seen at other times but the sight of cliffs of white is stunning.
Getting an icecream is also theatre as the seller swishes the icecream in the air as he bangs cowbells for attention
The Doga Thermal Hotel at Pamukkale is our rest stop. They have a thermal pool and it is like being turned into a cooked lobster. Jump into the cool pool and you zing. Very healthy but very funny watching faces of people as they immerse themselves. Dinner woweeee. Buffet was the best I have had . The dessert table was a cardiac showstopper.
All in all a great day

 

Comments

1

Looking at the photo and reading about it all I can say is wow.

  Shaz Sep 14, 2015 8:43 AM

2

Keeps getting better. Hope you took your statins with you for the "cardiac showstopper"!

  Sonia Sep 14, 2015 12:04 PM

3

Looks fantastic... bet you all enjoyed the thermal pools.

  Wendy Sep 14, 2015 9:33 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.