Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Ephesus

TURKEY | Saturday, 12 September 2015 | Views [336] | Comments [2]

We awoke to a beautiful morning, threw open our blinds to admire the harbour and in our view was 2 ships that had berthed overnight. The port is 50 metres deep so can accomodate  these giants of the sea.
Picked up at 9am by Inan our guide. We had a huge 14 seater on our own for the Ephesus tour. How lucky are we with a personal guide.
The day is due to get to 35 so sunscreen on and off we go. The ride only lasts about 20 minutes to Ephesus and the enormity of the area is jawdropping. Covered by a mud slide the restoration began in earnest in 1951. The scale of the dig is huge. Much of the cost is born by the Government and Archeologists from around the world are painstakingly unearthing the city.
Only a small percentage of the city has been uncovered but it takes 1.5 hours of walking to see what has already been done. Columns rebuilt with original structure and only a small percentage is substitute. The library is an amazing structure that majestically stands at the end of one of the long walkways. Housing, public toilets, walls and jails are to name a few structures of the city that have been unearthed.
A visit to Mother Mary's house was very interesting as it is out of the way in a hilly part of the country. It's a beautiful stone building that is simple but efficient. A water  fountain provides water that is said can cure ill's along with a wishing wall for dreams, hope and inspiration. Heavily guarded  by armed  police gives insight into the relevance that is placed on this area. The Pope has visited here along with many other dignitaries and thousands of worshippers.
A stop at a leathergoods manufacturer was fun and we were treated to a fashion show with full blown catwalk and models. What made it more fun was Celeste and Alain were asked to model some clothes and join the models.
A rug manufacturer was another stop to  learn about Turkish rugs. Beautiful pieces  that take weavers months to make. It was a training school and it can take 2 years to become good enough to weave on your own.
Back to the hotel about 4.30 we are  calling it a early finish.
Drinks in Kerry and Andrew's room then dinner, which was delicious and an earlier  night. During the evening we were treated to a fireworks display that went off across the bay. Beautiful eay to finish the day.

 

 

 

Comments

1

Much needed sleep in I'm sure with 9.00am start.
What an interesting day.
Keep an eye on Celeste and those carpet sellers.
Oh did anyone video Celeste and Alain on the catwalk?

  Sonia Sep 14, 2015 11:58 AM

2

Another great blog Peter.... made me check up to see if Jesus had a brother and surprisingly he actually had 4 brothers and word on the street or good old Google, he had sisters as well. I didn't even know that Mary was in Turkey, where was I at bible studies lol

  Wendy Sep 14, 2015 8:59 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.