Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

The Land of Sand and Glitz.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Saturday, 5 September 2015 | Views [423] | Comments [4]

Bags packed as light as possible even though we are anticipating a variable weather pattern from Turkey (swimming we hope ) to Germany and Switzerland, we certainly do not want to lug heavy cases across cobblestones nor drag them onto boats with weight unneccessary  for our needs.
Early morning flight from Tullamarine to Dubai saw us dropped off at 11.0 pm for a 2 am flight with Emirates. All of us full of enthusiasm as we gathered at the check in gate knowing that in a few hours we will be in the air and jetting toward our holiday that has been three years in the making.
Totally looking forward to the experience and sharing it with good travelling companions. Noise cancelling headphones on and it is time to settle into the world of cattle class plane flight. Not too bad as the humm of the engines along with the chatter and other strange noises from fellow passengers is muffled out as i settle into doze mode.
Touch down in Kuala Lumpur for one hour gave us enough time to stretch the legs then back on the plane for another 6 hours to Dubai. The ride was a bit lumpy but easy enough to cope with. Emirates is a pretty good airline to fly with and we managed to get double seats down the back so we didn't have to climb over anyone to get out.
A good flight with little sleep saw us jet into Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. As we flew across the Giant Sandpit on Steroids called Dubai it glittered in the sun and stretched out across the landscape beconning us to come and explore. A sandstorm had been through the night before and some haze was still hanging about.
The airport is huge and glittery with order and structure the cornerstone of its operation. From cool Melbourne to HOT Dubai Yay! Yahoo! the holiday has begun.
Two nights here to explore and adjust a bit to the time difference before flying to Istanbul for the next leg. It is certainly an "in your face" place Dubai with Lambourgini and Mazzeratti cars swishing about but to name a few. The shopping centre's are huge and glitzy with people everywhere. It is a shoppers paradise with all major brands represented and from what I can see well patronised.  Fully air conditioned wherever you go including bus stops due to the extreme temperatures.
Tomorrow we are getting a driver for 6 hours and going to the main stops e.g. the gold amd spice souk, Atlantis, Burge Kalifi and a couple of other sites to see. But for now it's Dinner, money changer and a good sleep.

Comments

1

Beautifully written Pete and a lot more positive than my whinging start.....I was tired and grumpy!! That's my excuse! I shall be more "half glass full" from now on, rather than the world weary traveller I came over as last night. xxx

  Kerry Sep 6, 2015 1:40 PM

2

Hey there Pete. Looking forward to the next sequel of Lawrence of Arabia. Enjoy.

  Sonia Sep 6, 2015 3:57 PM

3

Your trip sounds fantastic Peter and Celeste. You write beautifully Peter, perhaps a novelist in the making. Enjoy the trip and stay safe :)

  Helen Penwill Sep 6, 2015 8:34 PM

4

I would be dead jealous if I wasn't one of your travel companion....yay

  Katrina Sep 6, 2015 11:05 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.