Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Sand, Spices and Gold

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Sunday, 6 September 2015 | Views [386] | Comments [3]

The gang at Marina in Dubai

The gang at Marina in Dubai

The morning started well after a well earned sleep. Shorts on ( yes folks it's nice and warm ) and down to breakfast before heading off for the day of sightseeing in the land of Sand, Spices and Gold.
Driver is Nadim and we were with him for 6 hours. First stop was Atlantis. Very impressive as you approach with it looming in front of you. Building is happening at an ever increasing rate and we noticed how much more had been built since we were here last. Places that were once waterfront had land reclaimed in front of them and buildings placed on it. Bingo you are no longer waterfront!
The marina was next and a very impressive place it is. You could almost smell the money as we walked by the boats moored waiting for their owners to come aboard. The precinct itself was very pretty and stylish with buildings towering around the area in both finished and being built stages. A coffee and we are off again.
The Burj Al Arab ( hope i spelt it right ) was next. An impressive buiding on the waterfront with the helicopter pad jutting from the side high in the air.
Traffic is pretty light but the roads are excellent and flow well as trains are up in the air on their own carraigeway. Coupled with round abouts and long entry /exit lanes on roads it makes for easy traffic flow. As we travel we marvelled at the amount of building going on. The architects seem very creative as many buildings have curves and structure that seem to make them unique and stand out from the ordinary run of the mill constructions.
The weather is warm ( okay HOT ) with a breeze blowing but overcast from the sand churning in the air. Jumping out of the air conditioned car and being hit by the heat is bracing.
A couple of Mosques we visited were very stylish and massive. Smaller mosques and towers can be seen all along the landscape. Most buildings are in sandstone colouring or white and fit the tone of Dubai beautifully.
We paid a visit to the Spice Souk and Gold Souk in the "Old part of Dubai " Old means from the 1970s so we all had a laugh about that. Gold, Gold everywhere with alleyways dotted with stores plying the precious metal. Precious and semi precious stones encased in gold ready for the taking. Shopkeepers cajouling you to "Come in and take a look" The spice market was a load on the senses with the smells of all types of spices drifting on the air. The different types of spice and the quantities was amazing.
Back into the car and we head off to see the Kings Palace. Enormous, oppulant and all names like this would describe it. You cannot get too close as the Police wave you off so Nadim dropped us off on the forecourt for photos and he drove laps at the front waiting for us........
Homeward bound after a very fullfilling tour. No lunch though as we didn't have time ( good thing breakfast was hearty ) We bid Nadim goodbye and we shot off across the road for a bite. Ouch! we got bit. Very expensive but hunger overcame us.
Back to our hotel we headed for the bar.  Nice cold beer and a chat about the day. Car racing on Tele so Al and Andy were sorted. Back to the room for a rest then dinner at the restaurant in the hotel.

Comments

1

What an interesting day we had, glad I was there to share it with you.

  Katrina Sep 7, 2015 4:24 AM

2

Wow. It sounds like they could have reforested the desert with all that energy and expertise.

  Sonia Sep 7, 2015 8:32 PM

3

Sounds like a full day but no lunch... I would have loved seeing the spice market.

  Wendy Sep 7, 2015 9:11 PM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.