Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 188: Return to 'Freo'

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 11 May 2008 | Views [505]

Freemantle docks

Freemantle docks

Sunday 11th May

The day started a lot nicer than the one before, the sun was out and my plan to visit Freemantle appeared to be back on track. I went to check some emails in the library before getting on the train out to Freo, and it took about half an hour in total. There were quite a few people on the way out there on the train and I arrived to find the place buzzing with folk out for a Sunday jaunt. The Freemantle Markets take place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, and clearly draw big crowds to the town (certainly a lot bigger than when I had visited with my parents the previous week). 

The busiest street in town, dubbed 'Cappucino Strip', was really buzzing (possibly due to too much caffeine?), and people were almost hanging out of the cafes, pubs and restaurants. The market itself is housed indoors and is quite interesting to walk around although it was smaller than I had expected. It was nice to wander around for an hour or so, and I had some good Malaysian food before taking a walk down to the pier. I sat there for a while, just taking it easy and trying to enjoy the moment of being there on such a beautiful day. Later in the evening, I had some fish at 'Kailis' fish restaurant but had salad instead of chips in an effort to eat a bit healthier than I had been since I got to Australlia (I had certainly enjoyed every bite of that food!).

I got back to the hostel and met two Irish lads that were staying in my dorm: Tony from Limerick and Eric from Cork. They mentioned that they were going to the pub to watch the United-Reading game, the final game of the league, and a match that United had to win to be sure of clinching the Premier League title. We headed out to 'The Mustang' pub and joined a bunch of other ex-pats for a nerve-wracking game – for me, at least – which United eventually won, with Chelsea not even managing to beat Bolton at home in the end of it all. It had looked a bit touch and go for a while in the second half but the night ended on a real high, and I walked back to the hostel in a fantastic mood. I knew I would sleep very soundly that night. 

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.