Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 149: Saigon to Mui Ne

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 2 April 2008 | Views [737]

The beach at Mui Ne

The beach at Mui Ne

Wednesday 2nd April

We were up before 07.00 and scoffed a quick breakfast before our car was due to pick us up and bring us to the bus for Mui Ne. In the end, the car never came (the price of the ticket included this pick-up) so we were told by the staff at 'Miss Loi's' to pay for a taxi ourselves in order to get to the bus on time. Once on the bus, we were pretty comfortable; this sleeper bus had 'bed seats', and I had never been on a coach as luxurious before. We were able to stretch our legs or sit upright and read if we wanted to, and they were pretty cool.

After spending about half an hour picking up various people from their hotels we set off through the heavy traffic of the morning rush hour, eventually getting out of HCMC by about 10.00. We got to Mui Ne at 13.30 and headed straight for the 'Sunshine Beach Hotel' which was conveniently located just over the road from where the bus had stopped. For $28, we got a twin room with A/C, TV, a balcony with a view of the beach, breakfast included, and a great location right on the beach. The first impressions of the place were good; it was clean, well run, quite tasteful and quiet with very few people about – just what we needed on our break away from the busy streets of Saigon.

It wasn't long before we made a move for the beach. The sea and sand stretches for about 11km and our spot seemed particularly nice. The hotel provided sun loungers and we lazed about, watching the kite and windsurfers who come here specifically for the reliable windy conditions. The kitesurfing looked like particular fun, with people attached to a board that is a cross between a surfboard and a snowboard, and a large, wide kite used to propel them along. If the kitesurfers hit a wave at the right angle and the wind takes their sail, they were pulled into the air where they could be left hanging for a couple of seconds. It was fun to watch them, but it must be a fantastic feeling to actually do it if you're able to get it all to work (and I am sure it is also very tough).

Maria and I didn't do a great deal for the rest of the day, we just had dinner, checked our emails and got some sleep. Our hotel room was a very comfortable place to stay and we were really glad that we had chosen to come to Mui Ne.

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.