Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 104 - Prainha Beach, Rio de Janeiro

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 1 May 2007 | Views [1484]

When someone describes a beach to you as the `best beach in Rio` you have to check it out.... so on the Labour Day holiday here in Brasil (May 1st) I took the special surf bus to Prainha to see what all the hype was about.

Now, let me tell you - the Brasilians really have their beach transport sorted out. The surf bus was filled from front to back with board racks and fully kitted out with a big screen TV and stereo system playing surfing videos for the 1.5 hour journey south of Rio's main beaches. For the $R3 fare, the drive by the beaches was already worth the cost of the bus; but when we arrived at Prainha the bus collectively had an `aaaahhhhh` moment.

Made up of 3 small coves (each holding a nice small beach), Prainha is definitely the nicest beach I have seen since I've visited Rio. Although it was busier than usual (with the public holiday and all) I had a really nice 3.5 hours soaking up the sun, swimming and just enjoying the beautiful view of a beach where the jungle meets the sea.

After 4 hours I met the surf bus back on the hill for a relaxing ride back to Botafogo (where i'm staying), catching some more surfing videos and music on the way back, in between watching the coastline of Rio out the window.

This place is magical!

Prainha Beach, Rio

Prainha Beach, Rio

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.