Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Hippie Markets

BRAZIL | Sunday, 29 April 2007 | Views [1020]

By now, you may think that I have seen and bought at enough markets for a lifetime here in South America. However, anyone that knows me knows that you can never shop too much, and the allure of the famous Hippie markets at Ipanema was too much for me to keep away!

So, on Sunday I ventured to Ipanema beach to check out why these markets are famous in the area. They run every Sunday from 9am in a large park square which is on the street running parallel to the street running by Ipanema beach.

Be aware that I asked at least 4 local people for the location of the markets and received 4 different responses. It was actually an Australian tourist (a lady from Perth) that I asked who gave me the correct directions! 

So the market is really large! Filled to the rafters with jewellery, handmade bags (I had to buy one), t-shirts, leatherware and so much other stuff - you will need at least 2 hours to see everything! After 3 hours I felt like I had accomplished something - so I walked the markets for another look to see if i'd missed anything!

Definitely visit Ipanema on a Sunday if you are like me and love to shop! 

One of the best markets ive been to ever - her in Rio.

One of the best markets ive been to ever - her in Rio.

Tags: Shopping

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.