Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Things I love about Argentina

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 22 February 2007 | Views [5314]

Hola Amigos!

As I predicted, Argentina has been such a highlight for me on this trip. Things that make me smile about this place are:

 - The Spanish is nice and slow (compared to Chile) and much more true to the written sense. When Argentinos pronounce their words, they mostly say the complete word, which helps gringas like me understand what they are saying. They still have slang, but once you learn it you can understand much more.

 - The sights and sounds of Buenos Aires. The widest avenue in the world. Massive cemetaries, cathedrals & plazas. Loads of shops. Funky people, places and sounds. An excellent underground metro system. What more could you want from a city?

 - Iguazu Falls. Simply breathtaking.

 - Mendoza - a tree lined city so relaxed that its almost asleep! Safe streets, friendly people, spanish school and steaks as far as the eye can see. Don´t even get me started on the red wine - que rico!!!! Staying in a hostel which feels like a friends house - Hostel Lao - was amazing.

 - Bariloche - cool in every sense of the word. Funky shops and people, places and music everywhere. Cold enough to have 3 or 4 coffees/hot chocolates a day and not feel guilty. I keep staring at the mountains which line the lake ahead of the town. Its wonderful here.

 - Culinary delights: the steak here is better than ANYTHING i have ever tried. Seriously. The first steak dinner that Angie & I had in Bs As was so good we couldnt talk!!! Also, the smoked salmon ravioli in Bariloche as well as the venison steaks. Buying fresh croissants and good coffee for breaky in the middle of a 30 hour bus trip (normally you just dont eat on the bus). Multiple hostel-made asados (bbqs) with new friends in Mendoza. The red wine here is so good - Malbec, Tempranillo, Cabernets, the list continues.....

 - New pals: running into old mate Ian in Mendoza (after meeting in Chile), Colleen from Canada, my 4 new Chilean girlys (Cony, Coni, Rosie & Maida), Carolina from Rio, Jackie from USA (my school buddy) and Paul from Islington (UK not Newy).

 - When the shops here don´t have the right change, they pay you in other ways. For example - at a chemist the other day, they didnt have any 10c pesos left, so they gave me 2 asprins instead! Also, at the supermarket I got 2 lollies instead of 20c pesos this morning. Ive started deliberately not giving the right money to see what I get in change!!!

 - The relaxed and friendly atmosphere of Argentina is amazing. If I spoke Spanish I could definitely live here. I love how friends kiss each other on the cheek to say hi or bye. Argentinos are not afraid to show their affection & I love it.

Things I won´t miss:

 - Getting taken "the long way" by taxi drivers (or even the "wrong way") because i´m a gringa and won´t know the difference. Well - I now know when i´m being ripped off - all I need to do now is learn how to have a go and the cabbie in English!

 - The ham & cheese sandwiches. There are only so many of those that a person can eat in a lifetime! On the bus to Bariloche I was served a "bus meal" which was a plate containing - a ham & cheese sandwich on brown bread, a ham & cheese sandwich on white bread and..... a ham & cheese breadroll. Thats all - hmmmmm.

 - I won´t miss having to say goodbye to my travelling partner Angie either. Im doing fine on my own, but it was sad for both of us to go separate ways in Iguazu. Nevertheless, we are both embarking on our own adventures now, which will change our lives!

So, only a few more days in Argentina before heading north to Peru and then onwards to Galapagos which is very exciting! Before I go, I will see a futbol match (definitely will be an experience) and see more of the sights of the surrounding neighbourhoods of Bs As. Am already making mental notes of where I will travel back to on the next trip!

Until next time,

Besos from Argentina

Lani xoxoxoxox

A typical steak in Argentina $AUD4

A typical steak in Argentina $AUD4

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.