Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

The story of Casa Maria

CHILE | Friday, 26 January 2007 | Views [3223] | Comments [5]

We have enjoyed 3 lovely days here in La Serena, and yesterday we were humbled to hear the story of Maria - the lady that runs the hostel "Casa Maria" where we have been spending our time.

Maria was married young and had 2 sons to her husband, who ended up taking off with her best friend only a few years after her 2 sons were born. This left Maria on her own in La Serena with no work and no money. Maria worked hard selling fruit (figs & peaches she grew in her own yard) at the local markets to put both her sons through school for a good education. Her brother, Pancho, also supported her with his shoe making business - though she always struggled to make ends meet.

One day, whilst shopping at the supermarket, a yound Israeli traveller confronted Maria and, in desperation, asked if she had any room at her place for him to stay as all the rooms in the area were booked out. She invited the traveller back to stay in her humble home for a few days. Maria had a spare room set aside for her friends that would occasionally stay, so the Israeli traveller stayed in this room for a few days. Maria declined to take any money from the Israeli, opening up her humble home to him from her heart and taking him in as her son.

A few days turned into a few weeks and then 3 months, as the young Israeli loved spending time with Maria and her 2 sons who showed him everything to see & do in La Serena. Finally, the traveller had to move on - a very sad day for Maria & her family.

When cleaning his room, Maria found a large wad of money (probably our equivalent to a years salary) in his room with a note that read - "Mama Maria - thankyou for your kindness and opening your home & family up to me. You have a wonderful heart and kindness to travellers from all around the world."

Maria was shocked to find the money, and a few weeks later, was even more shocked to hear a knock at the door. "Casa Maria?" asked the travellers who showed Maria that her Casa had been recommended to them by the Israeli traveller. A few months later, her place started appearing in guidebooks and even made the lonely planet recommendation. Over the years, Maria used the money to buy beds & equipment & her 2 sons and Pancho have built lovely cabañas in the backyard so more travellers can stay. She takes great pride in her garden, and has created a sanctury for travellers from all over the world.

Maria had a tear in her eye when she recounted the story of the Israeli traveller who changed the course of her life. She still stays in touch with him after all these years! I have to admit that we all had a tear in our eyes when she told us her story! Maria still keeps her fruit trees and i enjoyed a plum and the last fig of the season when we arrived.

Today, Maria and her sons still run the hostel with the same kindness as when she opened up her house all those years ago. Her brother Pancho runs a leather shoe workshop from the house, selling shoes to guests & at the local markets. I´ve ordered a pair!

Thought you may enjoy the story,

Lani

The view from the balcony of our bungalow at Casa Maria, La Serena

The view from the balcony of our bungalow at Casa Maria, La Serena

Tags: People

Comments

1

Great story about Maria. Have you noticed it has some resemblance to the story of Mother Mary (Maria). Mary an Israelite was taken into a stable for lack of room at an inn in a place called Nazareth. That's where Jesus was allegedly born. She became quite famous too. I thought the the stable owner should have got a mention in "The Lonely Planet" though.

Love the travelogue Lani and I hope you continue to enjoy a great experience. Doanie and I are hanging in there and she still loves me despite my obvious flaws.

Rob

  Rob Jan 28, 2007 11:58 PM

2

To my Precious Lani
Only you could write a beautiful story about a magic
place and bring tears to the eyes of everyone who reads
it. I am so glad you experienced such an amazing person
like Maria. It looks like such a gorgeous place to stay
Waiting for your next journal entry.. Your proud Mama
xoxoxoxoxoxox

  Mama Chriso Feb 1, 2007 5:41 PM

3

nice story... we miss a lot of life’s real experiences living in such an affluent society. I think this is what makes travel to the less affluent (but richer relationships wise) areas. Nicely written.

  steve M (dilbert Fan) Mar 1, 2007 8:37 AM

4

You brought tears to my eyes reading that - your mother is right, you write beautifully. Now I want to go to Casa Maria, and as I will be in South America for 5 months I may stay there, who knows? Safe travels. E

  Eleniki Mar 13, 2007 11:10 PM

5

im pilar im marias niece, marias casa is a place full of stories, even mine that change my life! i meet my husband there , i wasnt sure about this irish man but maria told me she can see he is a good man . and he was right!! we beeen together for 4 years and married over 1 year
thank you for talk so kindly about her , she is just amazing and kind and hard working, she have enough love for every single backpacker who get in her house. finally i ll see her this year and i tell her about you kind words , she ll be delighted!!!
you can make a book about marias stories!!

pilar gonzalez pizarro - ryan

  Pilar Gonzalez pizarro Aug 28, 2007 11:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.