Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 105 - Ipanema Beach

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 2 May 2007 | Views [1317]

After being disappointed with the size, security and cleanliness of Copacabana beach - I was determined to find these beautiful beaches that Rio is famous for!

10 minutes on a bus from my hostel is the equally as famous Ipanema beach, which stretches along as far as the eye can see. On first inspection, this beach looked a lot better than Copa... more sand, cleaner, less people and a beautiful waves breaking on the shore.

After spending a few days by Ipanema beach, my favourite things about Ipanema are:

  • The beautiful people - everywhere you look you can see Brasilenos running, walking and just keeping fit out in the sunshine. I love it!

  • The availability of anything your heart desires - there are vendors that walk up and down the beach all day selling drinks, prawns on skewers, jewellery, swimmers, towels, sarongs, food, newspapers and anything else you can think of.

  • The beach kiosks which sell you the best ice cold coco's which are full of refreshing coco juice which keeps you going all day long.

  • Having conversations in my broken portugues/spanish with the locals. People are always up for a chat and are so understanding about my lack of skill with the language....

  • The sun is shining! How wonderful is that...

So, when in Rio come to Ipanema beach and enjoy the sun just like I have been doing. And have a coco or 2 for me!

Ciao Amigos

Lani

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.