Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 74 - Samba time

BRAZIL | Sunday, 1 April 2007 | Views [883] | Comments [1]

If there is a musical style that should be associated with feelings of happiness than it is without doubt the Samba. It originated in Rio de Janeiro around 1920 and is still one of the most popular styles of music in Brazil - you can hear it everywhere and anywhere! From intimate samba-cancões (samba songs) sung in bars to explosive drum parades performed during carnivale, samba is said to always evoke a warm and vibrant mood!

Samba is the most famous of the various forms of Brazilian music arising from African roots. Much of the music in the coastal areas (like where I am in Florpia) has a remarkable combination of African, Native Indian, and Iberian influences. You can literally hear it all intertwined in the music, as well as the Brazilian martial arts/dance Capoeira.

After doing my research, I decided to see what it was all about! Tonight I travelled with a bunch of my new friends (from São Paulo) to the local Samba Club on the dunes at nearby Joaquina beach. We danced all night and saw live Capoeira dancing, Samba and the best moves that Brazil has to offer! After sweating out all the caiprinhas we drank we returned home, open eyed at all the fab dancing with sore feet after hitting the floor ourselves all night!

Olé! 

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to....

When my baby, when my baby smiles at me I go to....

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

hi

  zezo Feb 18, 2008 12:40 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.