Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 64 - Arrived in Brazil

BRAZIL | Thursday, 22 March 2007 | Views [1515] | Comments [2]

So I have arrived in Brazil - São Paulo to be precise - after another long leg of travels and connections through Peru and a 45 minute cab ride once I got into the city.

São Paulo reminds me alot of Sydney, except its massive. The city has an area of 1,523 square kilometres and a population of just over 11 million people, which makes it the second city of the world after Tokyo, and the most populated in the Southern Hemisphere.

People from the city of São Paulo are known as paulistanos, so thats what i´ll be calling myself for the next few days! I noticed a load of Japanese people on the flight over here, and on closer inspection I found out that more than 1 million people living in São Paulo are direct or indirect descendants of Japan. São Paulo has the largest number of Japanese outside Japan, so I am making a bee-line for the nearest sushi shop to test it out!

São Paulo is reported to be quite a dangerous city (in the rough areas), but luckily for me the hostel I booked is located in quite a safe neighbourhood. I think that there can be dangerous places anywhere in the world, so its just a matter of taking caution and being careful.

On my first afternoon here I went for a brief wander of the streets and its really just a massive cityscape here - I think that you could travel for kms and kms out of town and still get out of the bus/train/car to the same backdrop of skyscrapers and multi storey apartment blocks.

Ive got my map, now its time to explore.....

Until next time

Lani

City within a city - Sao Paulo

City within a city - Sao Paulo

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

hey lani,
hows the exploring going?
miss u long time
love you
xoxox

  meegan Mar 26, 2007 5:53 PM

2

Hi Alana, Hope all is well with you and that you continue to have the time of your life. My family is terrific, grandkids growing too fast. The weather here is cooling down, you can actually pull the blanket up at night. Daylight savings finished last Sunday, so here comes winter.
Take care of yourself and keep safe
Love Genelle xx

  Genelle Ireland Mar 27, 2007 8:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.