Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 34 - The Tronador Volcano

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 20 February 2007 | Views [1580] | Comments [1]

Hi everyone

Today I had a grand adventure in the Parque Nacional here just outside Bariloche. I visited a place called Tronador, which is a volcano on the border between Argentina and Chile; separating the two National Parks here: Nahuel Huapi in Argentina and Vicente Pérez Rosales in Chile. The volcano is covered by seven glaciers (Frias, Alerce, Castaño Overo, Manso, Peulla, Casa Pangue & Río Blanco) and it is 3,491 meters high. It was named Tronador (spanish for 'Thunderer') by locals in reference of the sound of avalanches - one which I saw yesterday!

Afterwards we also went to an area called Ventisquero Negro (Black Glacier) which is actually black glaciers that have fallen down from Tronador. The are more brown than black, but its an amazing sight to see the glacier all broken up at the base of the volcano!

Tomorrow im doing another adventure in this wonderful part of Patagonia - the siete lagos tour (7 lakes) as well as travelling to a nearby place called San Martin which should be great!

Hope you are having fun back home!

Lani

Tronador Volcant - the peak on the right belongs to Chile and the one on the left in Argentina´s

Tronador Volcant - the peak on the right belongs to Chile and the one on the left in Argentina´s

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

martin, martin!!

  meg Feb 27, 2007 6:14 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.