Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Day 26 - Brain explosion in Argentina

ARGENTINA | Monday, 12 February 2007 | Views [1880] | Comments [4]

G´day (note - I dont normally greet people this way but I just had to say somthing non-spanish for my sanity).

After day 1 of Spanish classes my brain is ticking over! Our lesson was meant to be for 6 people but its just me and a 17 year old girl from the USA who is playing hockey here. She studied Spanish for 4 years in USA, but is still considered ´beginner´so the pace of the class is moving with her spanish which is mucho better than mine! But, that means we are learning tonnes and i´m soaking most of it in!

Our teacher has an únothodox´way of teaching (and i dont mean by giving us a shot of red wine when we say the right word - though that would be nice...) She only speaks in spanish. No english AT ALL PEOPLE!!! Think of a time when you have been speaking to someone with a funny accent - maybe they come from somewhere far away like New Zealand or Kurri Kurri. Its really difficult to understand their english, and you seem to understand things 3 minutes after they say them. Difficult right? Think of that situation, but in Spanish, and now you know how I feel!

Have a massive headache, unsure of whether its from too much learning or too many piña coladas last night?!? Just kidding, had an early night last night in preps for today.

I actually am considering staying an extra week in Mendoza to continue studying spanish as i like it so much so i´ll keep you all posted. By the way, I just wanted to let you all know that I had a full steak dinner last night for $2AUD. Can you believe it! Steak-lovers of the world - Argentina is your mecca!

Until next time

Hasta luego (see you later in spanish - hey I really did learn something!)

Lani Ramirez Sanchez Juan Pablo

me at spanish school...

me at spanish school...

Tags: Lost!

Comments

1

money's to tight for steak....
steak??!!
....sure....steak...

what kind of sides do u get with the steak??? and is there any gravy or tomato sauce?

  megs Feb 13, 2007 8:31 AM

2

another week of nice safe spanish classes....olay!!!!

  doanie with the mama hat Feb 13, 2007 11:11 PM

3

The sides with steak are
papas fritas (chips)
papas púres (mash)
pan (bread)
mostaza (mustard)
salsa (like tomato sauce)
chilli sauce

As you can see, Argentinians like their carbs....

  lani Feb 14, 2007 3:30 AM

4

Ciao Bella! o Hola Guapa!

(one other thing you may note is that some italian and french do get thrown in the mix just for good measure ;)

Embrace the brain strain and very soon you will be able to kick my ass when you get here chica!

(me gusta mucho papas y steak!)

Feliz Estudios!

  Sarah Feb 14, 2007 11:35 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.