Existing Member?

Where in the world is Lani?

Buying Shoes & Ice-cream

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 13 February 2007 | Views [3159] | Comments [1]

I know I keep saying/typing it over here, but the South American people really are chico (small). I am constantly surprised how short people are (like I can talk...) but also how nearly everything comes in small portions or is made for people that are ´vertically¨ challenged. I LOVE IT!!!

Today I decided to buy some shoes, as I have been wearing the old Havianna thongs for a bit too long. I guess the giveaway was when I take off my triple pluggers I have a massive tan mark from them. It makes people exclaim outloud - ¨Bloody Hell, thats some foot tan you´ve got there!¨

Anyway, the biggest rage over here are these canvas shoes, similiar to the old Kung Foo/Karate shoes that you would wear like slippers. They have them in a colours, and mostly made from canvas. You can go ritzy and buy ones that are made from leather or different animal skins but thats going a bit far.

I have been shopping around for them, they are everywhere! Tonight I saw a pair I particularly liked, so I went into the store and asked in broken spanish to buy a black pair. The fella asked what size? I didn´t know so I said (looking down at my feet) ´chico´ (small). To my surprise, he bought out a pair of ´chico´´shoes and they were way too small (like a size for kiddies). I asked if these were for adults and they were!

Needless to say I left the store with one of their bigger sized shoes feeling like a person with a ´normal´ sized foot! The picture of the shoes may look daggy, because they are actually very daggy. BUT, they are comfy and the style of the time in Argentina so i´m happy wearing them!

On the flipside, Argentinians believe the bigger the ice-cream the better, which is actually my philosophy too! Today I had my 1st Helado (icecream) experience and it was fantastic! AUD$1 for 2 flavours, scooped about 10cm into the air. Buenisimo!

Signing off from Mendoza where the shoes are small & the ice-creams are big!

Lani

Trend setter

Trend setter

Tags: Shopping

Comments

1

hey lani,
seen any stores with small soccer boots??
so i went to nana and georges yest and gave them all of ur journals and they love it. Leah and Mary have also has a read and nana said leah was laughing and crying over ur stories. they all send their love and safe travels.
missing u lots chicao`

  megs Feb 14, 2007 12:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.