Existing Member?

Robbie Hey everybody!! This journal was set up to keep everyone up to date with my travels through China and Vietnam. I will be volunteering in China up in the north west part of the country in a city called Urumqi for 13 weeks, helping out (hopefully) with teaching english. I will then have some time in Beijing to explore the sights. I then move on to Vietnam to meet up with my mum for a few days in Ho Chi Minh then fly up to Hanoi to volunteer with a local volunteer agency SJ Vietnam for 10 weeks. Then I fly home just in time for my 21st birthday. This journal will keep you up to date with all my volunteering adventures!!

Thailand and buckets!!!

THAILAND | Monday, 28 September 2009 | Views [1024] | Comments [2]

Hey all and on to the next story...

So now we headed off to Thailand for a week as we had a one week break at uni.  Me and my two room mates off again :-)  We flew into Bangkok and stayed for 2 nights.  It is one crazy crazy city, we arrived at about 8pm on wednesday and headed straight out for dinner and some discovering.

First thing we found was that Thailand is the barter capital, "how much you want to pay?"  Next thing we found was that drinks came by the bucket size :-) And they made them extra strong......so first night was spent in Kao San road (made famous from the movie the beach) - but we didn't drink any snake blood...you could eat grass hoppers mmmm deep fried.  So after dancing that night away, we got up the next day by 11 for check out only to find that buses left to early for us to see anything and the trains were full.  So we checked back in for another night, as you can see we didn't come with a plan again :-)

We booked the bus for the next day, as the trains were full again as there was a national holiday going on :-)  Next we hired a tuk tuk and went off sightseeing- we saw lots of temples and buddhas - but the highlight was definatley the Grand Palace!!!  Just beautiful and so much gold.  We had to borrow clothes as you had to be covered up, very attractive, please view the photo!

Right so again we headed out for another big night-yes and that includes more buckets :-)  We paid for that the next day, when we caught the 12 hour bus down to Krabi....nice.

We stayed a night in Krabi, the town didn't have much and it was really quiet, but we took the local bus to the near by beaches and watched the sunset and it was so nice, we even got a visit by an elephant walking up the beach.

Next day it ws onto the ferry and over to paradise....no joke the photos don't do it justice but Ko Phi Phi island is where I will be retiring to.  We had 4 nights there, relaxing on the beach swimming, snorkling and YES YES YES SCUBA DIVING which was ahhhhhhh the BEST EVER. 

The next amazing thing and definate highlight up there with Scuba and Ranga's - we went camping on Maya beach for a night- yes it is the one and only spectacular beach they used as the location in the movie "The Beach" - it was awesome, Leo was there to shake hands and sign autographs ahhhh slice of heaven.  Nah it really was a cool night- swimming at night with the plankton and just sharing paradise with only 8 people what more could one ask for?

So Thailand was so good - we had so much fun - probably drank to much but Thailand is all about the buckets :-)  I really hope you can all get their one day before it is destroyed, its heading that way with all the rubbish - its a real shame.

So now I am back in Singapore and yes I am now studying for my mid-term exams...all very exciting but am planning the next trip already :-)

Missing you all.  Love KatieXXXXXXX

Comments

1

hi Katie, we would like to know if you students do any studying at all.
God, we were born decades too early.
still you are enjoying the trip and that is most important.
Love to you from aunt lesley and uncle henry

  henry and lesley Oct 7, 2009 4:06 PM

2

Hi Katie
Well, it would seem you have turned into "Party Animal"
so your birthday present should fit right in with your nightlife..........Hope you have a wonderful birthday .
Sorry it will be a little late, I only managed to get your address yesterday. With Meagan moving etc time got away. The Kitties say hi.
LOTS OF LOVE jUDY AND ROSS

  judith and ross Oct 23, 2009 2:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.